advertisement

better power cable

Yes or No, depending upon your viewpoint, whether you are a “subjectivist” or an “objectivist”.

There are many threads discussing this topic on this and other forums. They normally descend into chaos after 50 pages of circular arguments and name calling.

Even Angels fear to tread here!

You know I run a French vintage hi-fi forum with a few friends and we chose not to accept any cable threads. Those who think cables make a difference just keep it secret, and it is fine.

I was getting a slight hum and occasional crackles through my speakers which I resolved by using a power supply filter unit (Nobsound Audio 3000W 15A Audio Power Purifier Filter AC Power Socket Conditioner). I am not sure at what stage the interference was introduced, but it turned out that the hum was the result of using powerline adaptors to connect my streaming-based system to my network. I resolved this properly by getting the house wired with ethernet cables (much easier than I thought it would be). Since we are subject to quite frequent power outages and surges, the Nobsound unit made sense anyway. The quality of the sound has not been improved, but interference has been eliminated.

Nonetheless, I agree with those who have pointed out that there are countless pages of meaningless debate over power cables, etc., to be found in hi-fi chatrooms. Personally, I doubt that you can improve quality, but you may be able to remove unwanted glitches.

You know I run a French vintage hi-fi forum with a few friends and we chose not to accept any cable threads. Those who think cables make a difference just keep it secret, and it is fine.

Perhaps that’s why the UK wants to leave the EU.........:p:D:D:D

How do you know if any of them do think cables make a difference then?

Here’s a quote from the Australian forum I frequent:

I realise that replacing a cheap generic cable, by adding a posh plug to a posh (previously UK) cable doesn’t scientifically tell us much about the individual changes at hand, but I’ve (subjectively) noticed improvement in the sound since switching over.

The cable I use now is OCC copper, with an Isotek IEC and of course Furutech gold Aus plug. Interestingly the cable also has small magnets around the earth, neutral and live wires, to block noise. Everything got a deoxit and deoxit gold make over before screwing shut. I don’t think burn in is a factor here because the cable had hundreds of not thousands of hours of play time back in England.

Everything seems a tad calmer and breathes easier (think lowering jitter on digital playback) with better delineation between instruments, I’m happy with the change and won’t be going back.

Many people prefer the sound of their system with different mains cables and blocks.

Potentially theres good reason why a block can make a difference in some cases, vis a vis earthing arrangement.

Apart from that though theres no good science to show any measurable differences at the output stage between mains cables.

strangely i spent this morning making a better power cable for a psu for the pre amp , had a very nice furutech mains plug lying around and a nice iec , takes very short while and it may help , certainly must be better than the cheap and nasty thing that was on there ... did a few other things too and its all sounding fine. its always good to play !!

Ah. But how do you know that actually they don't believe in cable differences, but are secretly pretending that they do?

We tend to agree that cables are not very important, and we get more interested in the equipment itself. It is clearly written in the forum ethics and regulations anyway, so newcomers know what to expect, and we very rarely need to moderate (if ever).
There!

strangely i spent this morning making a better power cable for a psu for the pre amp , had a very nice furutech mains plug lying around and a nice iec , takes very short while and it may help , certainly must be better than the cheap and nasty thing that was on there ... did a few other things too and its all sounding fine. its always good to play !!

I spent the morning gardening in the sun and didn’t give power cables a thought.

Just a thought. If a certain cable construction makes such a large improvement in the sound why wouldn’t a manufacturer fit one as a standard trailing lead and an MK plug?
For the modest price relative to their equipment they could take their already excellent bit of gear to stratospheric levels of performance and blow the competition away!
Sorry for that, I know common sense has no place in a cable discussion.
Dives for cover!

advertisement

Back