advertisement

Best way to integrate audio throughout a home?

I'm surprised there is not a stronger recommendation for Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server solutions here. These devices do the same thing as, say, the Sonos devices for a very low cost but, IMHO, with more options including home brewed devices based on Raspberry Pis. This includes touch screen devices which control external DAC via USB and self contained solutions with amplification and speaker(s) as well, obviously with phone/computer control if IR isn't preferred

I have Sonos devices across the house & a Zen Mini in the hifi room. I can’t seem to get the Sonos & Zen to play together but I can use Spotify across multiple devices.

I tend to find that for background music, Sonos is all you need.

I'm surprised there is not a stronger recommendation for Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server solutions here. These devices do the same thing as, say, the Sonos devices for a very low cost but, IMHO, with more options including home brewed devices based on Raspberry Pis. This includes touch screen devices which control external DAC via USB and self contained solutions with amplification and speaker(s) as well, obviously with phone/computer control if IR isn't preferred
They are old and only available used though, presume that would put some people off

Sonos or Bluesound are the best at this, by a distance, especially in relation to the grouping of zones without lag between them. Other good streamers are available but the software resource poured into Sonos in particular is way more advanced than anything else. There’s plenty of drivers available for integration into custom installed whole home heating/lighting/AV systems too, if you’re feeling flush. Most custom installers use those two brands for a reason. If you’re interested in that aspect, CEDIA is a good place to start.

Curiously, the Zuma system I put in won the CEDIA best new hardware product award last year. There was a gap between expensive and messy custom installation and Sonos, which has great software but poor sound quality. Zuma does not need custom install, has hifi quality sound and is cost-effective. Sonos is a closed system, but you can do groups with AirPlay and Roon.

I know people who are perfectly happy with a Sonos cube and there are loads of other brands doing the same thing. Given their sound quality, Spotify is more than sufficient. Currently I'm listening to Kandace Springs in three zones using 10 speakers via Roon.

I was going to suggest this myself. I used 4 of them in the past to do mulit room and allows you to use the amp speaker elements you want. I have a couple of modified ones that sounded superb. As said though they are old now but I have one still in play and working and it uses Apple air play nicely.

The Touch itself is old, but you can you Pi's (+DAC hats/amps etc) and very low cost. The LMS infrastructure is great, free and constantly being updated and added to. The LMSlite Alexa skill looks good (though not tried it). There is also a Mediaserver skill, but that is subscription (£2.99/month) which appears to give pretty much full SBT functionality.

Curiously, the Zuma system I put in won the CEDIA best new hardware product award last year. There was a gap between expensive and messy custom installation and Sonos, which has great software but poor sound quality. Zuma does not need custom install, has hifi quality sound and is cost-effective. Sonos is a closed system, but you can do groups with AirPlay and Roon.

I know people who are perfectly happy with a Sonos cube and there are loads of other brands doing the same thing. Given their sound quality, Spotify is more than sufficient. Currently I'm listening to Kandace Springs in three zones using 10 speakers via Roon.
I’ve not come across that system before. I’ll have a look!

Sonos, Bluesound, Linn (used sneaky DSs would be a very tidy solution if you don’t need local inputs, they have a built in power amp).

I’ve not come across that system before. I’ll have a look!

I started a rebuild on 8 May 2021 and Zuma launched a week later. I was a bit of a beta tester and the Luminaire units were only available from January 2022, a few weeks after the last contractor had finished. I was primarily looking for a good lighting system, not sound. There is nothing else like it on the market and I understand it is being sold mainly through house builders, interior designers, that sort of thing, which is more how the CEDIA market works. I know a lot more than I can say, but with a 95mm hole cutter, you can take out a ceiling LED light, widen the hole, connect the transformer and put in the unit in a few minutes. Then just connect to your wifi.

I put in 26 Luminaire units, my electrician put in the transformers in a couple of hours and me and another chap got all the units installed in 90 minutes, most of which was unpacking. In a big instal like mine, with a total of 50 units on two floors, you do need good wifi with no lag. I put in four Ubiquiti wired access points, covers the house over 3 floors for £600.

You can spend a lot of money on home automation. My window guy has literally everything automated. I have an automated TV swivel from Future Automation in our bedroom that cost more than the TV. This Zuma system is very good value given it covers sound and light, and is likely to have other technologies like security built in over time. It also saved a lot on wiring and switches. I have 3 zones with 26 units on a single on/off switch, except the units stay powered up so I can tell them to play music without switching them on. So it gets a bit complicated!

A big problem with a single speaker is that it is a point source and you get uneven sound levels. Sonos is a point source and if you stand under or next to a unit you know about it. Devialet Phantom and Reactor have extremely good dispersion, but still can sound like a point source. These Zuma units, you can have your head 2 feet from it, looking at it, and have no idea where the sound is coming from. , but you can still get a stereo image. It's a bit weird, but brilliant as you get very even sound levels and can fill a room with sound without deafening anyone or getting bass problems in corners (as was the case with the otherwise fabulous Bose cubes). For ambient music at home, bars, restaurants etc., it's great.

Just Roon - you’re not tied to any brand of endpoint device, now or in the future. Nor do you have to worry about any using any device-specific software or apps. The interface is brilliant too, seamlessly unifying multiple streaming services as well as networked content, controllable from any phone/tablet/pc on the network. Universal file compatibility to any resolution, and native HQ player compatibility if you want to play with extreme oversampling. Inbuilt EQ, configurable per endpoint. You can group any set of endpoints to play the same thing, or play different things in every room. And it’s all just a joy to use.

I waited too long but it’s been a revelation for me.

Nowadays, despite my love for Squeezeboxes, I’d probably go for Sonos or MusicCast. They seem to have solid reliability.

advertisement

Back