advertisement

Best way to connect 2 turntables to 1 amp

What’s the best way to connect 2 turntables to the same integrated amp (with built in MM phono stage)? Can I use some sort of splitter that can permanently connect the RCA leads from 2 decks without having to muck about unplugging things? Can I have the 2 ground wires connected to the amp at the same time? Thanks for any advice!

Surely the 'best' way is to use this: Musical Fidelity M6 Vinyl Phono Stage | pink fish media ?

You can also spend more for something not as good. To my ears the built in Yamaha stage sounds better than a Stageline N.

I've never heard great things about the Stageline. Basically sounds the same as the boards in the pre amps.

And they can be different rather than better or worse. I lent a friend a Cambridge stage but he preferred the MM stage in his Yamaha AVR. Then he bought a Rega Phono MM and he's keeping that.

I've never heard great things about the Stageline. Basically sounds the same as the boards in the pre amps.

And they can be different rather than better or worse. I lent a friend a Cambridge stage but he preferred the MM stage in his Yamaha AVR. Then he bought a Rega Phono MM and he's keeping that.

Considering this will be for a Rega RP78 in all likelihood, the Rega Phono MM seems a reasonable solution. If it sounds better than the Yamaha, I can run the LP12 through it.

Doh! Just found this in my late Grandfathers box of tricks. Can’t be that bad, can it?

That should do it yep. It's always a bad idea to switch the output from a TT and much much worse if we're talking MC but as it's MM here and as it's a switch box intended for the application then it should work OK. Many general purpose switch boxes will lack the screening integrity etc for TT use.
As an aside, external phono stages have no real advantages over built in ones and certainly not at the bottom of the market eg £100 ish MM only external stages will usually be basically a stage pretty much the same as the one in a budget integrated amplifier

That should do it yep. It's always a bad idea to switch the output from a TT and much much worse if we're talking MC but as it's MM here and as it's a switch box intended for the application then it should work OK. Many general purpose switch boxes will lack the screening integrity etc for TT use.
As an aside, external phono stages have no real advantages over built in ones and certainly not at the bottom of the market eg £100 ish MM only external stages will usually be basically a stage pretty much the same as the one in a budget integrated amplifier

Thanks, makes sense. There has to be a minimum amount an external stage costs as it’s a product in its own right, whereas I guess it costs relative buttons to include similar quality components in an integrated amp.

Thanks, makes sense. There has to be a minimum amount an external stage costs as it’s a product in its own right, whereas I guess it costs relative buttons to include similar quality components in an integrated amp.

Yep. A typical budget MM stage will cost no more than around £5 in parts for the circuit itself. All the rest is for the case, the PSU and the extra sockets etc... oh and if it's £100 then about £50 is profit for the hi fi dealer, not the manufacturer, who prob makes about £30. Now with an integrated amp you already have a case, a power supply and don't need output sockets specifically for the phono stage.

There has to be a minimum amount an external stage costs as it’s a product in its own right, whereas I guess it costs relative buttons to include similar quality components in an integrated amp.

I think a lot of it has to do with the low level of the signal making it very responsive to its environment and power supply etc. So even the same circuit in a separate box with clean power will sound better than if it was in an amp.

Having said that, some built in stages are really nice. The point is that you're going to have to buy something, so you might as well try to get an upgrade out of it if possible.

I think a lot of it has to do with the low level of the signal making it very responsive to its environment and power supply etc. So even the same circuit in a separate box with clean power will sound better than if it was in an amp.

Having said that, some built in stages are really nice. The point is that you're going to have to buy something, so you might as well try to get an upgrade out of it if possible.

No it will not.

advertisement

Back