advertisement

Best VFM Anti-Virus Software?

davidjt

pfm Member
Having queried a debit of 118.99 Euros from my existing provider and cancelled the subscription, I was then offered larger and larger discounts until we got down to 19.00 + VAT, with the assurance that 75% accept this. So they're happy to rip off the remaining 25% who don't notice or can't be bothered. Not a business model that chimes well with personal security, and one never knows whether to believe 'Value' websites, so I'd be interested to hear other views.

We don’t put 3rd party Antivirus on Windows 10 PC’s, the provided Defender does a decent job in my opinion, I run an IT company.

If you want to buy something to enhance security, have a look at Malwarebyres, we do put the paid for Business version onto PC’s to work in tandem with Defender.

There is a basic free version but it only scans manually doesn’t protect proactively.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/lp/sem...o_3rrIMkaFowGwhQJvgSgolv_DQ50JP8aAr7QEALw_wcB

If you want to get serious do a Google for “Windows 10 Standard User” - you reduce the risk of infection if you use the PC as a Standard User day to day and only logon as an Admin to do jobs like software installs and config changes. Article here:

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/limited-windows-account/

1 – Administrator Account – An Administrator account on a Windows PC is very much like the Root account on a Unix/Linux machine.​

In a nutshell, a user logged into an account with Administrator privileges can do pretty much anything on the computer. He/she can view every file on the system, change system-wide system settings, run all installed programs, add new programs, install new hardware and change the usernames and passwords of other users.​

2 – Standard Account – A Standard user account cannot change most system-wide settings, run software that the account hasn’t been given permission to use, install new software or hardware that affects the entire system or change the usernames and passwords of other users.

What’s more, using a standard account will prevent most malware and other malicious programs and apps from making changes to your Windows system. And as you can imagine, that makes your system more secure.​

We don’t put 3rd party Antivirus on Windows 10 PC’s, the provided Defender does a decent job in my opinion

^^^^^ this

If you want to buy something to enhance security, have a look at Malwarebyres,

^^^^ this

I procure 100s of desktops and 10s of laptops per year. All are re-imaged on arrival to provide out corporate environment. Standard anti-virus is defender and malwarebytes. No one is allowed an admin account without special permission. I cannot remember the last time we had a virus or malware problem.

I used to use F-Secure as it worked well and they originate from Finland, which is politically neutral.

I used Malwarebytes in paralell with AVG. At times (once every hour) the computer frooze up for something like 10 minutes while the disk lamp was on. I skipped Malwarebytes and now everything works fine. AV-software don't work well together. Nothing wrong with Malwarebytes as such.

I run W8.0, if I had W10 I would upgrade the built in Defender to the full pay version.

At my previous job we had F-Secure, it also worked.

I hate McAfee. It's either a really awful product or someone has locked its firewall and 'protection' features down so hard that it gets in the way of creative computing. Or both.

We don’t put 3rd party Antivirus on Windows 10 PC’s, the provided Defender does a decent job in my opinion, I run an IT company.

If you want to buy something to enhance security, have a look at Malwarebyres, we do put the paid for Business version onto PC’s to work in tandem with Defender.

There is a basic free version but it only scans manually doesn’t protect proactively.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/lp/sem...o_3rrIMkaFowGwhQJvgSgolv_DQ50JP8aAr7QEALw_wcB

If you want to get serious do a Google for “Windows 10 Standard User” - you reduce the risk of infection if you use the PC as a Standard User day to day and only logon as an Admin to do jobs like software installs and config changes. Article here:

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/limited-windows-account/

1 – Administrator Account – An Administrator account on a Windows PC is very much like the Root account on a Unix/Linux machine.​

In a nutshell, a user logged into an account with Administrator privileges can do pretty much anything on the computer. He/she can view every file on the system, change system-wide system settings, run all installed programs, add new programs, install new hardware and change the usernames and passwords of other users.​

2 – Standard Account – A Standard user account cannot change most system-wide settings, run software that the account hasn’t been given permission to use, install new software or hardware that affects the entire system or change the usernames and passwords of other users.

What’s more, using a standard account will prevent most malware and other malicious programs and apps from making changes to your Windows system. And as you can imagine, that makes your system more secure.​
+1.

another good protection is to avoid sites with dodgy context (***n sites showing unusual or disgusting things, half-legal bitcoin platforms, hacking add-ons, etc.). Basically everything illegal, because virus programmers know that the preys - out of shame - probably won’t complain to anyone.

Last edited:
McAfee have track record on poor QA allowing their updates to brick computers, most other big names have also done it.

Avast (free) user here for 15+ years now. No complaints.

However, I also run regular checks with SpyBot Search and Destroy.

Oh, and I treat every e-mail with suspicion. Social engineering is a more likely route to getting a virus now than dodgy websites.

advertisement

Back