advertisement

Best Upgrade ever!

retrospective

pfm Member
Spending a couple of hours reflowing every bit of solder on an amp, though i'm sure it will also benefit speakers,turntables etc

I liked this particular amp before,i Love it now!

I'm sure some do but i'll bet many don't

What amp??!

It'll benefit all amps in my opinion, i've actually rescued amps purely by reflowing the joints it's now the first thing i do on any amp before testing/suspecting any componants.
On working amps i've seen some night and day sound quality improvements.

It's not rocket science,it costs nothing,so if you care for your investment...

Frankly i'm surprised that so called knowledgable audiophiles see no benefit in clean solder joints/signal paths/cleaning up any dry joints

It's easy to spend money on fancy foo..cables for instance!

Pointless when you've overlooked the obvious.

What you have to bare in mind is not everyone is 40-50 yrs an obsessive, many have recently jumped on the classic/vintage bandwagon.

So if one member gains a benefit from this

I'm quite pleased

Frankly i'm surprised that so called knowledgable audiophiles see no benefit in clean solder joints/signal paths/cleaning up any dry joints

I didn't have any problem with your project -- fixing some bad joints sounds like something that would have the potential for far more impact than a high end cable.

It's just the thread title was a bit mysterious and sensationalist, and then the thread itself has very little info. I asked what kind of amp because it would be interesting, for example, to know how old it was. Or what type (SS vs valve), or what model. It seems like a secret for some reason.

Dry solder joints are a very common issue and if I'm 'going over' a piece of kit I'd be sure to check carefully for dry joints, especially in the usual suspect areas. I'd call it a repair rather than an upgrade though. There's surely no benefit in reflowing a perfectly good joint.

advertisement

Back