advertisement

Best sub £200 ish. Cartridge

Remove AT sticker - you can see the screw - it's a swine to get loose cos of the glue hanging around, so I paid an extra £10 for the RigB and AT Generator body ready assembled.

That was easier than I thought, a scalpel to remove the little label and the glue around the screw and I'm ready to go:

I e-mailed Simon at 06:43 this morning (Sunday) and, after a couple of messages, I received this at 07:03:

Malcolm

Whilst we offer the RigB for the AT91 and VM500/700 series as a DIY kit, the RigB 95 (for AT95 and VM95) is only sold 'fitted by us'.

If you send your cartridge or generator to us, we'll fit the RigB for £59 including return postage.

Or for £69, we'll simply send out a new generator with the RigB fitted.

If you let me know if (and how) you wish to proceed, I'll connect you with my colleague Martin for payment and despatch.

Simon

That has to be great service!

I e-mailed Simon at 06:43 this morning (Sunday) and, after a couple of messages, I received this at 07:03:

Malcolm

Whilst we offer the RigB for the AT91 and VM500/700 series as a DIY kit, the RigB 95 (for AT95 and VM95) is only sold 'fitted by us'.

If you send your cartridge or generator to us, we'll fit the RigB for £59 including return postage.

Or for £69, we'll simply send out a new generator with the RigB fitted.

If you let me know if (and how) you wish to proceed, I'll connect you with my colleague Martin for payment and despatch.

Simon

That has to be great service!
That’s excellent, glad yours split open easily, my ML body was a bit of a pain, in the end rather than post it back I bought the whole thing, meant I could buy a cheap stylus for the old body and now have a spare AT95 cart.

I think you’ll be happy with it.

I’m really enjoying the Thorens TD166 mk2. I still need to fettle the suspension for the Thorens ‘bounce’ but I wondered how far one could go with a cartridge. I’m using a vintage Ortofon VM20 at the moment. I’m a classical listener predominantly. I like a darker, richer sound where mid detail is enough and treble picks out the strings without stridency. Any recommendations from the more experienced TT lovers?

If it is a VMS20 and it is in good working condition then I highly doubt you will better it for 200 or less, maybe even more than that.

If it is a VMS20 and it is in good working condition then I highly doubt you will better it for 200 or less, maybe even more than that.
Really good to know. I do like it through my Rotel phono stage. If I needed a new stylus where would I buy one. I know there are countless 3rd party on the net.Any recommendations?

Really good to know. I do like it through my Rotel phono stage. If I needed a new stylus where would I buy one. I know there are countless 3rd party on the net.Any recommendations?

It's a long out of production cartridge there aren't any as far as I know, other than the cheapy generic replacements.

AT carts are already at the lean end of the scale. Doesn't a metal body accentuate that?

To my ears no, though I tend to prefer clear over warm and cuddly if you get my drift.
It's well balanced in my pretty much all Rega system.

I’m really enjoying the Thorens TD166 mk2. I still need to fettle the suspension for the Thorens ‘bounce’ but I wondered how far one could go with a cartridge. I’m using a vintage Ortofon VM20 at the moment. I’m a classical listener predominantly. I like a darker, richer sound where mid detail is enough and treble picks out the strings without stridency. Any recommendations from the more experienced TT lovers?
If you like the VM20 I'd keep an eye out for a NoS. If you’re using the stock Thorens arm it’s low mass 7.5g and “likes” a highish compliance cart that doesn’t need a lot of tracking force, under 1.5g is a figure I’ve seen mooted.

Recent purchase for me - SME III on a TD160, I’m looking into suitable carts too, Eff Mass of the III is 5g.

I’d get the bounce sorted as a priotity, there are spring kits around £25.

AT carts are already at the lean end of the scale. Doesn't a metal body accentuate that?
Will also depend on the phono stage/cabling? An AT95 and OC9 do not sound nice into my Cyrus Phono, I can hear what the reviewers mean about the top end, with other stages I’ve not heard that problem and wondered why they got a slagging.

advertisement

Back