advertisement

best speakers ever heard

sergiox

pfm Member
in my opion the esl 57 , electrostatics, and the neat ultimatum mfs (also better than the other in the ultimatum range) , what's your opinion about ?
cheers
s

Unfortunately its not something that stands on its own two feet. We listen to a complete system, including the room. So there needs to be context, any exceptionally good speaker is going to sound poor if you feed it with a poor system and/or position them badly.

Unfortunately its not something that stands on its own two feet. We listen to a complete system, including the room. So there needs to be context, any exceptionally good speaker is going to sound poor if you feed it with a poor system and/or position them badly.
assuming you feed them with a good amp and good source, cables et cetera

Also what is the listening space, volume requirements and material? Regardless my list would be a fairly predictable ESLs, huge high-efficiency horns and tiny infinite baffle mini-monitors as each working absolutely in their element leave you wanting for nothing more.
yes you re right, i mean in your own experience

For something that could be called normal looking speakers, Rockport Altair’s. Just astounding.

Also heard a Westland setup in a shop in Singapore that was claimed to be Michael Jackson’s old system. Just walls of speakers drivers. Being fair, sounded incredible

Room dominates, a pair of decent full-range loudspeakers in a properly treated room, ( metres of external rockwool ) are really special, unfortunately that sort of set up is rare in domestic settings.
Keith

Yes they are. I’ve only around a foot of rockwool, though with double stud walls, air gap, double boarded on external sides only and built to stc63 spec my system sounds pretty good and happy with it. Next property will have a larger room and more treatment though, only thing lacking in this one is space unfortunately...

In a normal British living room (2 bed terraced in my case), my favourites so far have been Royd RR3s. None of the usual phase distortion issues that you get with box speakers, at the expense of 40W max sustained power handling (very minimal crossovers).

Hi,

+1 for the Shahinian Super Elf's, they have to be one of the best small speakers along with the Shahinian Larcs.

Again dependant on your listening taste, other equipment and room.

I agree about the Quad ELS57's, they are amazing, paired with the Quad II amps and a suitable preamp and in the right room, 57's are the amazing, followed by any Shahinian speaker then Linn Isobariks.

Cheers

John

Best speakers I ever heard at a show (or the ones that stand out in my memory) were a pair of Rockport floorstanding models in a big open ground floor area in a hotel, source was a big floorstanding Rockport turntable, can't remember the amps, but they were big too, the electronics filled 3 racks, a very big system.

During down time I used to have a 2000 seat auditorium to myself and a 60K Martin Audio LM line array EQ'd to my mix position driven fully active with labgruppens.

That sounded pretty amazing, Big room bass!

A couple of ear-to-ear grin moments:

Altec A7s powered by a McIntosh amp in a smallish jazz bar in Matsumoto.
JBL Olympus powered by a JBL integrated amp (SA660?) at Jazz Olympus jazz cafe in Tokyo.

I *will* own a pair of A7s one day! :)

advertisement

Back