advertisement

Best software to play ripped CDs

Neil P

pfm Member
I rip my CDs with dBPoweramp, and would like software to play back the files ... I have iTunes already. Is there anything better? Sound quality is important, but it's only via my PC>nobsound dac > budget headphones so I don't need to squeeze out every drop of SQ.

Most PC users seem to use JRiver. Supposed to sound better. I’m a Mac guy so can’t say for sure

If you like the interface stick to what you've got until you've gone seriously upmarket, at least.

Last edited:
I use Foobar, it can be tweaked to sound very decent indeed. Those that can be bothered to dig deep into JRiver do say it's better.
There is another one , JPlay, that's supposed to be better still. However, Foobar is free so give it a whirl, there are online guides to tweaking it.

I've been told that HQPlayer is the best, although there is a co$t. One thing that it does very well is upsampling, assuming your DAC is able to the higher rates and resolutions. There's a desktop version (as linked) as well as an embedded version. You can use the embedded version with many other players (and piCorePlayer), to inject its upsampling ability.

Fortunately you can run it in trial mode to see if you appreciate the effect, before putting your money on the barrelhead.

As for the benefits of upsampling, I'm a recent convert. I figured that diddling with the data stream could only make it worse, but it turns out it really does sound better. I'm currently using a piCorePlayer with Logitech Media Server, using the built-in upsampling features. It really did add a surprising level of realism and sweetness to the overall presentation. At some point I'll try HQPlayer embedded, to see if it's enough better to warrant the cost.

BTW, when using upsampling, it's generally suggested that you run your DAC in NOS mode, although not all DACs support that, even if they say they do. (I'm currently using a Denafrips Pontus II, which has an NOS switch, but apparently doesn't actually do NOS.) I'm considering upgrading to a Holo Audio May KTE, although I have other things in the pipes first.

When all I played was ripped CDs I thought that J River was the best music player. It let me organise my music like I wanted, rather than someone else wanted, and gave a lot of confidence that the audio path was unmolested by windows. Well worth the money.

Stick with iTunes for simplicity
Not so fast! I've heard from more than one friend who lost their entire ripped music collection. iTunes decided to move their music to the cloud, then it went poof. In one case the friend had already ditched all his CDs, so he was completely SOL, all thanks to his misplaced trust in Apple.

I rip my CDs with dBPoweramp, and would like software to play back the files ... I have iTunes already. Is there anything better? Sound quality is important, but it's only via my PC>nobsound dac > budget headphones so I don't need to squeeze out every drop of SQ.

You could add BitPerfect to iTunes, which will optimise the operating system and more importantly change the sample rate automatically.

Not so fast! I've heard from more than one friend who lost their entire ripped music collection. iTunes decided to move their music to the cloud, then it went poof. In one case the friend had already ditched all his CDs, so he was completely SOL, all thanks to his misplaced trust in Apple.

That was due to user error. I've read about it but I don't let iTunes/Music take control of my files.

That was due to user error. I've read about it but I don't let iTunes/Music take control of my files.
First you suggest that they use iTunes for simplicity's sake, then accuse them of making a mistake when Apple's automatic behavior burns them. Hmmm...

First you suggest that they use iTunes for simplicity's sake, then accuse them of making a mistake when Apple's automatic behavior burns them. Hmmm...

I haven't suggested that they use iTunes for simplicity's sake. For me it's the best music browser for Mac, also does a good job with tagging.

For best sound quality I have HQPlayer.

advertisement

Back