advertisement

'Best' ripping format for CDs

Flac & EAC for PC, apple lossless & iTunes for Mac. WAV and AIFF are for weirdos.

If you're Mac, iTunes and bitperfect will resolve anything your files contain (including seamlessly handling HD audio) whilst being cheap and convenient, but I do get the problem with cataloguing classical recordings - this could do with a fix.

I can set a profile in dbpoweramp. I'm thinking that modern gets filed under artist, year then album then track. Classical will be under composer. It looks like this is an easy profile thing to set up and the question will be how the new SBT handles it.

Yes, it's going to be a long process, but if it's done once, accurately and lossless then it's worth it.

What do the confidence levels really mean in dbpoweramp does anyone know? They vary from 13 to 69 at the moment, CD to CD.

I wonder what percentage of Apple users play uncompressed files.

I suspect a very substantial number - Macs have always been the choice of musos, folks in the arts etc, and tend to have decent sound quality on board. Certainly most folk I know with Macs have a large range of uncompressed music, though by saying that just about everyone I know is either a hi-fi geek, a musician, or both! I suspect Apple have better market coverage in the US as most computer talk over on say Steve Hoffman seems to be Mac-based.

I can set a profile in dbpoweramp. I'm thinking that modern gets filed under artist, year then album then track. Classical will be under composer. It looks like this is an easy profile thing to set up and the question will be how the new SBT handles it.

Yes, it's going to be a long process, but if it's done once, accurately and lossless then it's worth it.

What do the confidence levels really mean in dbpoweramp does anyone know? They vary from 13 to 69 at the moment, CD to CD.

SBT doesn't care much about directory structure - it uses the tags embedded in the rips, unless of course you explicitly browse by directory. But you have some decisions to make about multi-disc sets - note there is an option in LMS about how they are shown and options in dBp. I think the confidence levels are how many other rips have had the same checksum.

Ah yes, the one that won't play on the largest installed-base of portable music players, phones and tablet devices the world over!
Well, it would play if Apple didn't operate a closed system and actively seek to prevent you accessing media. This is the danger of tying OS to software and closing your mind.

Paul

surely not - wouldn't most of the content on people's iThings be downloaded from iTunes and hence be very very lossy indeed?
Probably, but a lossless CD rip on an iThing with really good in-ear monitors sounds fantastic.

Theoretically flac should sound exactly the same as wav, but to my ears wav sounds better, so i converted my whole flac library into waves.

dBpoweramp can do it in a batch mode and all tags will be kept and hd space is so cheap.

Maybe flac decompression process is causing some jitter fluctuation, higher sytem load or whatever, i don't know, it is a mystery for me.

To many people flac/wav sounds the same, but it is probably depending on many factors.

I suspect a very substantial number - Macs have always been the choice of musos, folks in the arts etc, and tend to have decent sound quality on board. Certainly most folk I know with Macs have a large range of uncompressed music, though by saying that just about everyone I know is either a hi-fi geek, a musician, or both! I suspect Apple have better market coverage in the US as most computer talk over on say Steve Hoffman seems to be Mac-based.

FLAC is the leading lossless codec. it will remain so.

Get used to it. :):p

macs are absolutely NOT the across the board choice of musos. I am a recording engineer and professional muso since 1998 or so, the systems ive seen have been overwhelmingly PC based. Overwhelmingly. maybe *engineers* use apple because of the pro tools shite but Musicians??? no. the tools for musicians have always been better on PC.

Theoretically flac should sound exactly the same as wav, but to my ears wav sounds better, so i converted my whole flac library into waves.

dBpoweramp can do it in a batch mode and all tags will be kept and hd space is so cheap.

Maybe flac decompression process is causing some jitter fluctuation, higher sytem load or whatever, i don't know, it is a mystery for me.

To many people flac/wav sounds the same, but it is probably depending on many factors.

FLAC conversion is doing nothing to the file. you can compress/decompress 1,000,000 times and in the end , run a checksum/null test. you will have the same thing as you started with.

these things have been thoroughly debunked.

If you're Mac, iTunes and bitperfect will resolve anything your files contain (including seamlessly handling HD audio) whilst being cheap and convenient, but I do get the problem with cataloguing classical recordings - this could do with a fix.
It certainly could, and it's easy: just play the files in order of filename in the folders the user has created...!

Probably, but a lossless CD rip on an iThing with really good in-ear monitors sounds fantastic.

Credit where it's due, Apple's lossy AAC codec is stellar, at anything over av 128 kbps VBR you'd struggle to pick out the lossless source in a blind listening test.

It certainly could, and it's easy: just play the files in order of filename in the folders the user has created...!

I don't think I am understanding what you are saying here. Could you expand on this a little? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

I am reading this as 'play the movements of a classical piece in alphabetical order' which is obviously crazy.

I don't think I am understanding what you are saying here. Could you expand on this a little? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

I am reading this as 'play the movements of a classical piece in alphabetical order' which is obviously crazy.
If you rip a CD so that the track number is the first part of the filename then the tracks will play in the right order, provided the software simply allows you to choose which folder you you wish to play and then play the tracks in order of filename. Apple's way tries to guess your albums and organise your music for you by looking at metadata, so I end up with huge playlists of everything by Beethoven, for example, or everything performed by Alfred Brendel. Quite useless. Foobar (on PC) and Sony Walkmans are fine. As is Winamp, although I hate the interface!

advertisement

Back