advertisement

Best remote ever??

jpk

pfm Member
I liked the old NAC52 remote and thought the R-COM is the perfect modern remote. But having it on the coffee table caused the batteries to empty too soon due to vibrations from people walking in the room, waking up the remote too often. So I sold it long time ago...

I like the round ones by Devialet and B&O:

XoyGbGz.jpeg

ThYIb03.jpeg

But these can't be used to command Naim and other RC5 based devices...

What other options would you recommend? Generally I find it a bit disappointing to have a remote control that feels relatively cheap in my hand considering the prices of the devices they come with...

Yes i had a 12k pre amp and the remote was plastic and fairly basic !! I love bel canto remotes for ease and practicality

Naim remotes are quite good , moonriver excellent and norma have macro and micro vol control which is a nice touch

I'm impressed by these Denon CD type replacement remotes available on Ebay for around 8 quid.

Quite attractive and a nice size and feel.

They do more than the original remote, like display dim, time remain, program cancel as well as fader and volume.

Lest we not forget the old Linn 'Remington electric shaver' remote and the false promise of more capabilities to be added in the future (How? One might have asked back then.).

Oh, you meant 'best remote ever'.

Original Linn LK-1 remote control:
684692-4b6b8331-linn_lk1_preamp_and_lk2_amp_linn_remote_with_boxes.jpg

The Tag McLaren Universal learning remote control was very good, and sadly missed when I sold the the DVD32R mine went with. Unfortunately the graphite pads are prone to wear so it wouldn't be a good used buy these days

Marantz made some pretty good button type learning remotes too but they don't seem to do them any more.

I recently bought one of these to keep my old sky box going a bit longer and it works OK but some of the graphite pads are worn out after just a few months so I can't rally recommend it. At least it can transfer its settings to a new unit in one command.

The Logitech harmony was pretty good (but expensive) and they've stopped making it.

I guess it's all gone a bit apptastic and you really need new kit that has apps!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crikey that looks like a dashboard of a 747! I always struggled to understand why the japanese thought it was a good idea to put hundreds of buttons on the remote. A good remote should only have 4-5 buttons. Volume up and down, mute, input up and down.

The Devialet remotes are awesome.

These certainly looked nice but the ones I had whined whenever a button was pressed and I never seemed to find the right button by touch. Nicest remote I ever had was the Quad 67 one, affectionately known as the mothercare remote. I do like the look of the devialet remote but not sure I want the amp to go with it; if only it was programmable for other makes.

I used almost every Linn remote and the majority were big and heavy. But the cheap Majik-I remote was my fav, small, very light & it housed all the functions I needed. Can't stand big, heavy, bulky metal remotes, remember those 5103 type remotes? Ouch!

But these days I'm back to my trusty old 32.5, no remote and I don't really miss it.

But these can't be used to command Naim and other RC5 based devices...

What other options would you recommend? Generally I find it a bit disappointing to have a remote control that feels relatively cheap in my hand considering the prices of the devices they come with...

Naim’s NARCOM 5, still supplied with the last generation of NAITs (and until recently, NAC pre-amps), is the best Naim one I’ve had…

IMG-1494.jpg

Sturdier and more tactile than most, and available to buy on its own.

advertisement

Back