advertisement

Best raspberry pi streamer usb output?

I’m using an RPi 4 with Ropieee as a Roon bridge, USB into the Soncoz DAC, sounds pretty good to me.
Roon is (I think) a bit expensive for me.... But its great to hear that the pi into Soncoz sounds good. Ta Dissy.

I think that highlights the point I was trying to make. What if Darko now posted saying ‘Tw99 knows nothing...’ You would have to choose which one to believe, or...
There's no way I would allow Darko to diss my mate Tw....

Roon is (I think) a bit expensive for me.... But its great to hear that the pi into Soncoz sounds good. Ta Dissy.
I also tried the RPi 4 with PiCore player and USB into the Soncoz. I have LMS running on my Vortexbox server, sounds just as good as Roon to me for zero software cost.

I also tried the RPi 4 with PiCore player and USB into the Soncoz. I have LMS running on my Vortexbox server, sounds just as good as Roon to me for zero software cost.
Grazzi Dissy. I see you figured out my price range for software :)

To be fair ROON is more about UX than it sounding better than X software, although you can fanny around with DSP and convolution filters. There’s so much choice these days for Servers and Players - Asset, Minim, LMS, Lightning DS - Volumio, M0ode, Rune, PiCore and they all give excellent sound, people are mostly arguing about the last few x% or minor differences. I just got the SONCOZ DAC here off Keith and for the money the specs and performance are fantastic, compared to 5 or 10 years back the spec would have cost way more or not even been possible.

A Pi 3 or 4 running Volumio costs very little but sounds great via USB, stick in the Radio Paradise plugin and you’ve got great tunes streamed at CD quality for very little outlay.

I use a rpi3 via topping dx3 pro USB into hd800. USB sounds much better than an allo digione with this particular dac.

Pi3/Topping D30/PiCoreplayer here. My other source is a Naim CDS2. The pi doesn't embarrass itself...

Right, brill. Many thanks to all. Much appreciated.Gonna get a kit ordered up right now.

I'm considering putting a raspberry pi based streamer together. It's output could go via USB into my Soncoz dac.
I'm a bit confused because I keep reading that the Pi's usb output is rubbish for audio. So how can it be improved? (the optical and coax inputs on the dac are already taken)
Excuse my ignorance and thanks for your help.
It’s not rubbish at all. I’ve used it for a long time. Fit and forget. Had no problems with mine and very good sound. That kind of talk is only for the neurotic!

I'm just going off what I've read and seen on YouTube. John Darko especially said the USB out is 'noisy' and 'not very good'
John Darko's opinions on USB noise and similar from Hans Beekhuyzen, for example, do not correspond with my own practical experience over the last few years. Nor have I seen technical evidence of any general real-world problem.

USB from a Raspberry Pi 3A+ (before that a 3B+) into my ATC CDA2 Mk2 USB input sounds faultless to me.

It is always possible for specific configuration problems to intrude into USB audio. But IME this has always been very obvious - nothing subtle to be worried about. I know the pundits make money from expressing their views but if they are based on genuine experience I have to ask what are they doing wrong?

I ended up using a spdif hat to lose some annoying static noise between my Pi and a Mojo DAC. I tried many other solutions, but that was the one that worked for me.

There's a lot of usb output measuring from various sources into various dacs on ASR. Stick to well made modern dacs and there's no audible or measurable effects.

Dark and Han's can put their golden ears back in the box.

It’s not rubbish at all. I’ve used it for a long time. Fit and forget. Had no problems with mine and very good sound. That kind of talk is only for the neurotic!
Cheers Del.... I want the best sound for my pound.... but do like to avoid neurosis

There's a lot of usb output measuring from various sources into various dacs on ASR. Stick to well made modern dacs and there's no audible or measurable effects.

Dark and Han's can put their golden ears back in the box.
Thankee sq. I thought you would know.

I don't know if this of any help but I have just bought a Google Chromecast for £30, it is the HDMI version not the audio version.
It is connected to my TV which in turn is connected to my Hifi via a £20 fiio dac.
I am streaming Radio Paradise in CD quality and for my own music I am using the Pulsar App with my Android phone, it works really well, very easy to navigate, sounds good to my ears and is as cheap as chips. I am just testing using VLC at the moment using windows 10 on a 2009 Macbook pro.
I still prefer real CD but I am warming to streaming. I would imagine with a better dac it can only improve.

I too am using a RPi usb output with no problems. The dac is a Topping D50. Works great, actually.

advertisement

Back