advertisement

Best medium sized active speakers?

But for what they contain, pre amp, NCore power amps x6 ,dac,ADC , Cardiod bass, virtual point source to 60 Hz, placement filters and sixteen selectable target curves, full range from 20Hz up and the best measurements currently available.
The Kiis have set a new standard.
Keith.

I have nothing but praise for my Adam Active Compact (mk1s, but there are newer versions). I had these before, during and after my two year tenure with the ATC100 towers, and whilst I think the ATCs were better in absolute terms, for my purposes the Adams ran them extremely close. The fact that I was able to buy and run a new pair of ATCs for two years at no significant cost was a fun experiment, but I now have no regrets in going back to the Adams. I only wish they were compact floor-standers rather than stand-mounts, as I hate stands....

You can pick up a pair of active classics for around £1k-1.5k, possibly less if you are lucky... and I think you'd have to dig deep to really improve on them in a significant, meaningful way. Unless you have a very large room, of course, where a (much) larger speaker might give more gravitas...

I dont think you'll better them with ATC two ways! The Opals are pretty good, they just miss out a bit on dynamics and extension, and the mid-range is a little bit less obvious than a good three way, other than that you going have to spend a whole lot of money to better them.
This. I haven't heard the Opals but I have read good things. I suspect there's nowhere significant to go (or that needs to be improved) unless you have a very large room. But if change is what you're after, the more interesting experiment might be to see how little you have to spend to find something of similar quality to the Opals, rather than how much you'd have to spend to usefully improve on them.

This is how I think these days. What can I get away with, not how good can I afford to make it. For me, most times, the limiting factors are not the speakers, but the source programme (i.e. the music and its production values, or lack thereof) and the speaker/room interaction.

But for what they contain, pre amp, NCore power amps x6 ,dac,ADC , Cardiod bass, virtual point source to 60 Hz, placement filters and sixteen selectable target curves, full range from 20Hz up and the best measurements currently available.
The Kiis have set a new standard.
Keith.

Have you heard them Keith?

Im looking forward to hearing a pair of the Kii's, if they ever arrive! ;)

I dont know if you've tried it Jezmond, but when i had the Opals they they worked so well with a Valve preamp as a front end (Minimax pre). All the other actives i've tried the Valve pre was a hindrance to the sound, with the Opals it was a sublime match.

Im looking forward to hearing a pair of the Kii's, if they ever arrive! ;)

I dont know if you've tried it Jezmond, but when i had the Opals they they worked so well with a Valve preamp as a front end (Minimax pre). All the other actives i've tried the Valve pre was a hindrance to the sound, with the Opals it was a sublime match.

Thanks for this, very interesting.

As you can see, I have no pre-amp as I have a phono stage with built in volume control and the Weiss does the same. I wonder what it might bring to the party as I note someone is selling one the Wam at the moment?

Genelec, Yamaha HS-8,7, Neumann KH120

Try Yamaha HS8, you will be absolutely surprised by the sound quality ...

advertisement

Back