advertisement

Best in-ears for under £100?

callahan

pfm Member
The title says it all really!

I have various headphones at home from Sennheiser and Grado but somehow lost my old Sennheiser in-ears some time ago. I'm off to California in April so will need something for the flight to listen to music and drown out the general noise of the plane and my kids!

I found some useful stuff on Head-Fi and am looking at the HiFiMan RE-400 and the AKG K376 but am open to other suggestions, particularly if I'm missing any bargains out there.

Thanks

The original klipsch image or image x10s. The version with an in built mic are £250 in some places but the original mic-less ones are less than £100 on amazon. Brilliant sound, different sized comfy tips and cancel out noise. I've tried others including up to the top shures and nothing comes close in terms of comfort and sound.

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep 'em coming.

Always liked the idea of Etymotics, but the reviews of the HF5s on amazon aren't as good as I would have thought. I assume it is impossible to get demos anywhere.....

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep 'em coming.

Always liked the idea of Etymotics, but the reviews of the HF5s on amazon aren't as good as I would have thought. I assume it is impossible to get demos anywhere.....

If you like hyped bass they may not appeal but the speed and accuracy of the sound is really extremely good. They need a good ear seal to work. I use mine with some memory foam tips and they are comfortable. If you don't push them in far enough to seal you get a thin tinny sound. Used properly they are really good.

http://www.complyfoam.com/categories/Brand/Etymotic-Research/HF%2d5/

I have a pair of the Hi-FiMan RE-ZERO and have also used RE-0. Both are fantastic and have seen off all of the Sennheisers, Shures, and Sonys I've used. Really sweet, punchy and engaging IEMs. Decent cable that doesn't transmit too much vibration into the buds when you're moving around, they don't get tangled just by looking at them, and you get lots of filters and tips with them. The RE-ZERO also has a balanced connection which means you have to use an adaptor (supplied) if you're not using balanced outputs which is a point off, but the RE-ZERO does improve on the top end enough to warrant putting up with it over the RE-0.

When they come to be replaced I'll more than likely get a pair of RE-400s

That is their weak point... Quite useless for electronica, reggae & the like I would imagine but thats not what their intended for.

Think of them as the LS3/5A of the in ear world :)

I've tried various types of the better Sen, Denon and Sony models which get regularly recomended. All were pretty poor IMO.
The latest Apple EarPods are better and actually pretty nice sounding if the shape suits your ear. That's always the issue with these things - a good ear fit.

Pay the £25 or so rrp form Apple. Tons of them around for half that or less - fakes, beware!

Etymotics, HF5s perhaps? Very good noise isolation, superb sound.

I had a pair of these and they stopped working after a few months. The lead came loose and there didn't appear to be any way to reconnect it. Apparently this is quite a common problem. Until then the HD5s were great in terms of noise isolation and sound.

I don't treat equipment roughly, but HF5s are too delicate and I wouldn't buy another pair. I'm back on Apple in-ears, they don't have the sound quality of the Etymotics, but I can throw them against the wall and they'll still work.

Jack

A left field option. I've been using Noc NS400s for several months and have been very pleased with them. iPhone compatible (they offer a version that is not), small, tangle free cable and a sensible price (£40). They offer more expensive models IF you look after them well. RHA are also worth a look, but I preferred the NOC.

Regards

Neil

I have a pair of the Hi-FiMan RE-ZERO and have also used RE-0. Both are fantastic and have seen off all of the Sennheisers, Shures, and Sonys I've used. Really sweet, punchy and engaging IEMs. Decent cable that doesn't transmit too much vibration into the buds when you're moving around, they don't get tangled just by looking at them, and you get lots of filters and tips with them. The RE-ZERO also has a balanced connection which means you have to use an adaptor (supplied) if you're not using balanced outputs which is a point off, but the RE-ZERO does improve on the top end enough to warrant putting up with it over the RE-0.

When they come to be replaced I'll more than likely get a pair of RE-400s

Thanks lovejoy, I'll see if I can at least get a look at these from somewhere, they do seem a good option.

I've tried various types of the better Sen, Denon and Sony models which get regularly recomended. All were pretty poor IMO.
The latest Apple EarPods are better and actually pretty nice sounding if the shape suits your ear. That's always the issue with these things - a good ear fit.

Pay the £25 or so rrp form Apple. Tons of them around for half that or less - fakes, beware!

They look like a major improvement over standard stuff, but do they really seal out much noise?

I had a pair of these and they stopped working after a few months. The lead came loose and there didn't appear to be any way to reconnect it. Apparently this is quite a common problem. Until then the HD5s were great in terms of noise isolation and sound.

I don't treat equipment roughly, but HF5s are too delicate and I wouldn't buy another pair. I'm back on Apple in-ears, they don't have the sound quality of the Etymotics, but I can throw them against the wall and they'll still work.

Jack

that's what I had read too. I am pretty good with stuff and tend to keep things for a long time, but if my kids get hold of them.... I wouldn't use the standard Apple ones though, I need a good sound isolating seal.

A left field option. I've been using Noc NS400s for several months and have been very pleased with them. iPhone compatible (they offer a version that is not), small, tangle free cable and a sensible price (£40). They offer more expensive models IF you look after them well. RHA are also worth a look, but I preferred the NOC.

Regards

Neil

They look interesting, the poor reviews tend to be over failures that Amazon replace quickly, but the positives are really good. On the shortlist.

ps. Yes, I have only just worked out how to quote multiple posts at a time..... :rolleyes:

I use the RE-400's with my iPhone 5s. Bought them because the standard Apple EarPods don't fit properly in my ears.

I haven't tried anything else (it's my first smartphone too) but I like them a lot and won't hesitate to recommend them as long as you're looking for a neutral precise sound quality. Those who like a fatter/fuller (than neutral) bottom end should probably look elsewhere.

I bought from here both because of the good price and the extra choice of tips:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=271370141732

And to find the right tips to get a secure seal in the ears is very important. The black rubber ones that come standard with RE-400 don't work for me at all (maybe I got weird ears?) - but one of the white/clear (silicone?) tips did the trick for me. Without a proper seal the bass leaks away and the sound gets thin and just awful. You're not in doubt when you got a proper seal.

Was also looking at the Comply foam range but they're a bit expensive and I've no idea which ones would be ideal for me and since the clear silicone ones that came extra did the job for me I'm good.

http://www.complyfoam.com/

You need to wear the RE-400's (cable) over the ear to remove microphonics. But this is quite common I think? The small carrying pouch is simple and effective. Overall quality of the earphones seem good and they're light.

http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphonereviews

Edit: One really can't overstate the importance of a proper seal with these IEM's. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back