advertisement

Best/cheapest streaming service for CD quality sound

yes indeed , thats where i listen to them before i buy but they only give little clips , not the whole albums

Well while saving up for another cd player decided to try this qubuz malarkey as so many of you seem to love it !!

Bearing in mind i am a bit of dinosaur i just about managed to get my sonos playing it and just a few mins in seems better than spotify app

got this fancy bel canto dac/pre that i love and was not cheap .its supposed to have a streamer with a seek app but couldnt find anyway of doing it so thats rubbish ....no brownie points to Bc today !!! Even if it is christmas day ..atb to you mr stronzer but you need to sort these things out for plebs like me

Hi chris
Its a bel canto eix/dac pre and i guess its because its not connected to the internet that is the reason .but very annoyed i couldnt find a seek app anywhere

Fortunately the sonos seems to have picked up qubuz ok and pleased to see that lots of larry norman and chuck girard on qubuz even if no moonbooter !!

Played bliss afterlife ( ambiant electronica ) yesterday on spotify and today on qubuz and drums are more vibrant , better bass and realism .i am quite surprised really .actually if they had a better catalogue i can understand why folks ditch the cd players !!

Fortunatly for marantz ,teac and all the many cd manufacturers ,loads of artists dont allow streaming platforms to have their stuff so cd is only option or vinyl .

Its a bel canto eix/dac pre and i guess its because its not connected to the internet that is the reason .but very annoyed i couldnt find a seek app anywhere
I haven’t found anything that says this with certainty, but it looks like it needs a physical network connection, not Wi-Fi.

In the Apple app Store, I searched for bel canto and SEEK popped up. If you are an android user, I assume it is the same.

Of course it is Christmas and you have music playing so this may be for another day!

Thanks chris .i do use android and couldnt find it in playstore .however sounds pretty good via sonos into dac .just comparing leonard cohen in both soptify and qubuz .pretty near identical with the album old ideas

TIDAL for me, as the library is better suited to my music tastes vs Qobuz.

FLAC is CD quality. If people are hearing differences, it’s worth mentioning that TIDAL (also Spotify) has volume normalisation enabled by default, this should be disabled for meaningful comparisons with Qobuz, otherwise it’s likely Qobuz will have the edge for being louder.

Hi chris

Fortunately the sonos seems to have picked up qubuz ok and pleased to see that lots of larry norman and chuck girard on qubuz even if no moonbooter !!
Phil,

Your E1x with Qobuz will be far, far superioor to your Sonos. You just need to connect your BC to the 'net via ethernet cable (no wifi with the BC).

You can then use the Seek app to stream Qobuz. Seek is only Apple though. You can use other Upnp apps, such as MConnect which is always a good starting point.

Without 'net connection, you also can't update the firmware on your BC. It;s a streaminb DAC/Pre, so you're really limiting its functionality using it without a net connection.

The BC is also Roon Ready. Roon has a superb interface, but you would need to run Roon Core somewhere on your network.

Baby steps though. First get it connected to tne 'net! Even if you have to run a long cable as an interim measure, it'd be worth doing just to 'prove a point', as it were.

I'm currently listening to 'Every Summer Night' by The Pat Metheny Group from Qobuz using the Mind app on my 390d, comparing to the same via CD from my 260d via AES (with a silly expensive cable) and via Roon. So, same track, same DAC, same system. The CD has it by the smallest margin, but Qobuz is almost indistinguishable (whether by Mind or Roon)

thanks a million Simon. now i dont even have one Apple thing , i dont know anything about it . everything is samsung galaxy . am i doomed not to get this seek app ?

you can use other Upnp apps, such as MConnect which is always a good starting point.
where do you find those ?

The BC is also Roon Ready. Roon has a superb interface, but you would need to run Roon Core somewhere on your network.

what the heck is a roon core ?

+ 1 for Qobuz.

Last year I got into streaming and trialled Amazon Music, Tidal and Qobuz.

I moved back to CD a few months later. I’ve just ordered the Eversolo DMP A6 and I’ll take out a sub. with Qobuz. It just sounded better, more detail, weight, good to listen to! Easy
I've just cancelled Qobuz, I liked it but Apple music/ Apple classical has if anything a better catalogue. The big advantage is that it can be packaged with a number of other Apple services and shared with the family. The cost is therefore shared too and for me relatively small.

The downside is that to get lossless streaming I have to attach an iPad via USB to my Auralic streamer/DAC. However, given that I use the same iPad to control said streamer/DAC, it is a minor inconvenience. My old ears can't detect a significant difference in sound quality.
I use Qobuz. It's excellent for classical music and the sound quality is excellent. Like you, I can only stream to my hifi by connecting my iPhone/Pad to a DAC via USB, but I'll be buying. WiiM Pro Plus in the next few days so I can stream wirelessly.

what the heck is a roon core ?
it's software which is essential for Roon. Roon is a subscription based music management syste, which works with any Roon Ready device. Probably best just to concentrate on getting initial connectivity first, before going for the bells and whistles.

If you get the BC connected to the net, perhaps you have a local pal with an Apple device that could come and shiw you Seek. You're nit missing much though; it's not the best app around, tbh.

I use Qobuz. It's excellent for classical music and the sound quality is excellent. Like you, I can only stream to my hifi by connecting my iPhone/Pad to a DAC via USB, but I'll be buying. WiiM Pro Plus in the next few days so I can stream wirelessly.

One thing I do like about the DAC/cable approach is that every member of the family with an iPhone and Apple Music can plug their device in and get lossless streaming of their Apple Music playlists and library out of my HiFi when they plug in their iPhone.

Most of my listening though is vinyl and Radio 3, that makes 2GB of music stored in the Auralic Altair a little bit of a luxury, never mind a streaming service on top.

That said I really like Qobuz when I use it on the Auralic app, however a couple of hours a week isn't enough to justify continuing the subscription especially when for other reasons I'm inescapably committed to Apple Music as well.

For me too the breadth and depth of the catalogue is the greatest magic of streaming services and, despite its limited search functions, Apple Classical wins that hands down

Apple Music is included in my Apple One Family package. AM is great for my mobile, family and whole home audio. I subscribe to Qobuz for my 2 channel setup. I pay yearly to reduce the cost.

I listened to the HD rendition of Automatic for the people yesterday, incredibly good. Almost certainly better than my original vinyl press.

advertisement

Back