advertisement

Best CD player ever?

That Accuphase above is certainly one of the best "looking" CD players ever, I would have to close my eyes and listen to this one otherwise I may be fooled into thinking I love the sound because of the clothes it's wrapped in.

Anyway - I can only vouch for the Marantz NA7004 as the best transport I have ever heard. You could clearly hear the differences in DACs when hooking up to this beast. But obviously this is a digital transport rather than a CD transport.

The only mention of a valved CDP is the Rega, but there are many others: the ARC offerings and Lector, for example.

I went from s/s (Meridian) to valves a few years ago with the 2 box Lector (Italian) but recently upgraded to the 4 box model.

I've long had a feeling that the perceived sonic downsides of CDs can be addressed by valves and I'm now totally convinced. Mind you, it sounds more like an upmarket record player than a CDP but that suits me fine !;)

Heard the two box version and it is excellent. Sort of agree with you as my Lampizator dac falls into that category. But I think also power supply implementation and the chip and capacitors used all influence the sound you get. Best CDP I have heard is the Wadia 861 and hope to hear an older version but with the North American Sound Company upgrades. All these units have a sonic signature I like.Lots of detail but hugely important to me a body and richness of tone to the midrange that draws you in. All these devices seem to control bass enough and deliver enough detail to do it for me. Unfortunately none are cheap:)

The only mention of a valved CDP is the Rega

I've long had a feeling that the perceived sonic downsides of CDs can be addressed by valves and I'm now totally convinced. Mind you, it sounds more like an upmarket record player than a CDP but that suits me fine !

So is the Acoustic Plan Vadi Mike. It is true, a valve/tube output stage implemented properly has a massive influence on audio performance of a CD player or DAC.

I'm a big fan of the Naim 16bit players with the Phillips TD 1541A chip set.

They are the CDS/CDi/CD2 & CD3.

I have the CDi which has a lovely analogue sound, very musical and superb on timing.

+1

I have a CDi and a CDS2 (with a Teddy XPS) and both deliver a beautiful analogue presentation that seems hard to find in other digital sources.

The CDi is an amazing performer - fast, utterly engaging, not the most neutral but incredibly musical in delivery. One of the best players I have ever heard and not something I will ever part with (as long as the motor doesn't fail - in which case it's dead!)

The CDS2 does all of the above but in an remarkably refined and sophisticated way.

Hi Paul,
You would have heard the best ever CD player this week, but you couldn't make it so you'll just have to wait until next time
it is of course mine , the original Naim CDS with it's own power supply not the later supercap I think that the CDS was that brilliant that I returned it to Naim for what I was informed was the very last refurbished Laser unit that they had, and they did not expect to be able obtain any more for refurbishing
oldie

I agree Arthur your CDP does sound excellent, perhaps i should bring my ACD3 along for a comparison?

About 15 years ago I went to the Cornflake Shop and spent several sessions auditioning hifi. I ended up with an all AVI system... CD player, preamp, dual monoblocks and AVI floorstanders. Having decided what I wanted, I asked them how good CD players could get. The guy grinned and plugged in some Mark Levinson thing. My jaw hit the floor. Then he told me the price and my jaw hit the floor again.

Don't know what it was, but it's the only time I remember being blown away by a CD player.

I had the pleasure of owning a CD555 for a few years & it's the best I've heard. I certainly wouldn't fork out for a new one nowadays but there have been a few for sale recently at very good prices.

The best CD Player I've ever heard is a Consonance CD 2.2 Linear (valved TDA 1543 DAC design with no oversampling).

No idea which is the best CD player my preference is for a meridian 808.2 but I have heard very few of the enormous range of other options in production. A good CD player in my system may sound iffy in your set up.

My initial Trio 770 seemed fantastic like all players did at the start of the digital age. If I had the money Perhaps I would listen to a Zanden or for valves try the Einstein player.

Cables make a difference! and nothing beats a top turntable.

I thought the CDX/XPS and Ikemi were both great, but the CD12 and CDS2 and 3 were both all in another class.

I did hear a comparison CD12 to Klimax DS and thought the KDS absolutely kicked the 12 into next week.

I have heard many other great players from Levinson, Wadia, and a few others but I still enjoy the Linn or Naim offerings as having been closest to my taste and best I'd heard.

I still have never heard the ISIS which I think would be not only capable of slaughtering thousands in Northern Iraq but a great player.

Is the thread about the best CD player, or the best CD sound? None of the dedicated CD players I have tested could beat a basic computer with a DVD drive, driving a good DAC. Reading the CD multiple times per sector, ensuring error-free reads, and buffering the data easily beats any "real-time" player.

"Easily beats"? No. I concede that a really good DAC, coupled with a well-sorted 'puter, can just better the best CD player. Not easily though.

Enjoyed my Linn Unidisk 2.1 that I owned. Only reason it went was because it was too unreliable.

Had an Accuphase Dp 55v player but the Linn was better.Now use a Naim Dac.

Is the thread about the best CD player, or the best CD sound? None of the dedicated CD players I have tested could beat a basic computer with a DVD drive, driving a good DAC. Reading the CD multiple times per sector, ensuring error-free reads, and buffering the data easily beats any "real-time" player.

Err ... You must have listened to some pretty poor CD players then.

About 15 years ago I went to the Cornflake Shop and spent several sessions auditioning hifi. I ended up with an all AVI system... CD player, preamp, dual monoblocks and AVI floorstanders. Having decided what I wanted, I asked them how good CD players could get. The guy grinned and plugged in some Mark Levinson thing. My jaw hit the floor. Then he told me the price and my jaw hit the floor again.

Don't know what it was, but it's the only time I remember being blown away by a CD player.

Yep that was a good player, they used it as a source when I was auditioning my ATC 50 ASL and I can remember how well it did Jazz piano and female vocal and also complex orchestral and opera works.

Having tried a few CDPs and transports in my time, I rate the following 4, along with my winner:

AudiolabCDP was a well rounded player.
Naim CDS1, nice player, open and detailed, but fussy and fiddly and had puck problems (not what you expect, didn't keep it long)
Linn Karik/Numerik, top quality product indeed.
Merdian 506 was nice, a warmer, smoother sound, but still nice

and my vote for the best:

Micromega DuoPro 3.1 Transport with Duo Pro Dac connected with XLO AES.

This is the most detailed and natural playing machine I have heard to date (yes controversial statement I know), yes it looks like a record player, and somewhat exotic, but no motorised drawer mechs, just a beautiful lift off platter. I used to use it with a DuoBS Dac which was fine, but the DuoPro is in another league. Unlike stories you hear of this being a fussy transport, I have never had a problem with discs and, incredibly, way over 10 years on have yet to hear a better transport/dac in my system. It was rather pricey in its heyday but got rave reviews, sounds great and looks amazing.

advertisement

Back