advertisement

Best Amplifier?

All of the above. In terms of my "best amp", over my 30 years in this hi-fi lark and more amps than I can remember, I've got to put another word in for Accuphase integrateds. They will drive just about everything with great finesse, are a joy to behold and are built to really last. My E-406 may be coming up for 20 years old, but I have stopped looking at amps for my main system and expect this cease my boxswapping adventures for my main system for a good while yet.

Clearly its the Phase III Avondaled NAP 135 mono blocks!
Magnificent amps, such a pity they are so hard to get hold of.

;)

There's so much choice up to that price point it's almost bewildering. Very speaker and room dependent, but from my limited experience I'd be looking at Sonneteer and LFD.

Currently Fiio A1 for £70. So good for the price it's silly.

These types of amp are really making a lot of manufacturers look stupid for what they are offering.

Take a look (and listen) at Brystons - not only good but 20 year guarantee

I would second that, new, £4k would get you a B60 or second hand probably a 4BSST/BP26 combo.
I Love my B60, if you dont need massive power its a cracking and capable little amp! I picked up my 10yr old model for around £600. Still 10 years left on the warranty too (transferable) :cool:

Sugden A21a series 2

sugdena21alseries2-b-623-80.jpg

I think my answer fits in nicely here:
My current amp (or better: my next amp).
+1
Really enjoying my current (most expensive, so far) amp. And looking forward to my most expensive (ever) new one. Definitely, absolutely my final upgrade. :rolleyes:
Really.

If you are able to buy it 2nd hand I think you should consider a Gamut Di150. IMO it has a very elegant sound with great control even with demanding speakers.

As Tony says much will depend on the 'speaker match, but very generally:

For most 80-90dBw conventional direct radiating moving coil systems you'll struggle to beat whatever Cambridge have at the top of the range in the 800 Series. Usually around £1k, very well featured and specified and able to drive most loads. If you need less power just go for a smaller model, or perhaps a Cyrus amp which again always perform flawlessly. Neither will audibly add or subtract anything from the signal. Plenty more but too many to list.

If you are driving vintage 'speakers of high sensitivity these tend to prefer something with a low damping factor. Most valve amplifiers satisfy this requirement well, as do some early solid state designs. Watch for noise though. Valve amps and vintage solid state can be noisy and sensitive 'speakers will just highlight the problem.

If you are driving large panels or designs with multiple bass drivers and want to play loud, this demands current so go for something properly rated for 4 Ohm loads, i.e. something rated to double output into 4 Ohms, and nearly again in 2 Ohms, doing so at RMS with both channels driven - none of this peak power rubbish.

Robert.

Have we not moved on from 'they all sound the same' mantra?

£1k Cambridge! meh.

For most 80-90dBw conventional direct radiating moving coil systems you'll struggle to beat whatever Cambridge have at the top of the range in the 800 Series. Usually around £1k, very well featured and specified and able to drive most loads. If you need less power just go for a smaller model
That's probably what I'd buy if I needed something high-spec.

Alex

advertisement

Back