advertisement

Best £500 DAC for Naim/Avondale setup

There is a used Arcam R dac for sale on the Wam, reports are that it is very good via async usb.

Hi,

If you have to go digital get a Linn Sneaky from Peter Tyson, they are £700, ok it is £200 more than you want to spend but this does the lot.

Go to the Linn forum and check it out.

Cheers

John

Just to update you all on what happened with my DAC selection.

I’ve tried the following DACs, all using my computer’s USB output:

- Devilsound
- Kingrex UD-01 Pro
- Arcam rDAC

All the above were loaned for a home dem by Mark at Item Audio (seems like a nice guy, genuinely enthusiastic about hi-fi), except for the rDAC, which I bought secondhand from a fellow pinkfisher, with the intention of selling on if it didn’t suit.

Originally, I put them in the order given above: Devilsound first, with an exciting sound and deep bass, rDAC last, with an overly bright, refined, sound, and the Kingrex in the middle (all as heard in my system, obviously – so may sound different with other partners).

I also tried an Odyssey Audio TOD2X USB conditioner, which sits between your computer and the USB DAC. I was quite sceptical about this, but I’m quite sure it did clean things up significantly. Possibly, some excitement was also lost in this cleaning, though I can’t be sure.

Although I did consider buying the Devilsound, the problem was, it wasn’t quite as involving as my AAA5 CD player, instruments did not sound as realistic, and there was a slight treble cutoff. So, I didn’t.

The something a bit odd happened. I had a bit of a problem with the rDAC PSU (you can read about that on the thread, ‘Safety concern over Arcam rDAC original power supply unit’ ). The replacement PSU Arcam sent me was a different model - more robust looking, and no safety concerns – and the rDAC began to sound better. I’ve heard that the rDAC has a long burn-in and can sound bad before this is complete – maybe this was the explanation, or maybe the newer PSU did have better sound.

I still don’t think the Arcam is entirely to my taste – it’s a bit too polite – but it has much more bass and general warmth now, so is far better balanced. I can now see how it would appeal to many. I’m going to keep it as a stopgap solution, in conjunction with my CD player, until I can find a DAC that can match or beat the AAA5.

So, the DAC search goes on…

I would look at the DAC Magic with a Maplins power supply, the Rega and possibly the Audiolab at the £500 or less mark.

I have spent far too long trying to improve on the blasted DACMagic at home. It may be synergy, the benefit of dedicated mains or luck, or I am deaf ! But this has been my findings so far :

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78186&highlight=Naim+weiss

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93059&highlight=Naim+weiss

I am hoping to explore DM modifications, I may by one purely to experiment with, plus the a few others:

The TRON (expensive, but....), Lavry, Audiolab 8200, MF M1 and possibly VDAC too !

My set up is Naim pre / Supercap / 4 x 135's all CB

This is my current dac, the Metrum Acoustics NOS mini DAC

Metrum_dac_close-up.JPG

metrum_dac_backside.jpg

Price is about the same as a Cambridge DACmagic, but sonically a lot better.
Beautiful reproduction of voices, detailed, deep soundstage, firm bass.

For more info: http://www.metrum-acoustics.nl/NOS_mini_DAC_English.html

Look out for a used Lavry DA-10 you can pick one up for £500-£600 thats what I use with my Avondale/Naim setup and sounds amazing.

Squeezebox Touch and Beresford Caiman (both 24/96) would be on budget and get around the USB problem (Wireless). You can sell your 62 as the Caiman will easily better it as a preamp. You can use the funds to by a nice linear PSU for the SB if you liked.

Regards

The Lavry DA10 is a fantastic performer with Naim. Well worth seeking out if you can find a used one. I started off with one of these and had a great time with it before going the Weiss and finally Linn route.

James

The Lavry and benchmark are a cut above most of those others suggested here. The Young being the exception to that rule, it may be a little kore but it's first class performance and is the most future proofed dac currently available.

At least try one before you make a decision it will help you set a bench mark against which all the others can be judged

The Lavry and benchmark are a cut above most of those others suggested here. The Young being the exception to that rule, it may be a little kore but it's first class performance and is the most future proofed dac currently available.

At least try one before you make a decision it will help you set a bench mark against which all the others can be judged
Marketing?

Whatever is chosen, the notion that certain dacs work with Naim and others don't is incorrect - more internet myth.

Other than Naim pre amps being a bit hot on the line inputs there are no matching issues.

advertisement

Back