advertisement

Best £200 Headphones ?

Yes, I saw that, but it looks bulky, and I have a power supply that will do the business (at least I think I do!) By the time you've boxed it, and shipped it to me, either you've taken a big hit on the £60 you want for it, or I pay at least £20 in shipping, and that puts us at not so far from $105 shipped.
I could split and hold onto the power supply I’m sure I will use it for something else sooner or later.

I would not consider K701 or HD600/650 unless a good and powerfull dedicated HP amp available
K701 are among my favorites, amplified, the Beyerdynamic DT250/250 too, but thats a closed back type
Never heard K702/712.

The new Massdrop HD58x should be a cheaper and easier driven HP based on HD650/660 but looong wait plus custom taxes for Europeans (even its made in EU) at $149 they are very tempting indeed. Drop is live now.

K240 studio or Superlux 687, both extremely fair priced from Thomann
Beyerdynamic DT990 available in several version
Admittedly I have yet to hear the new Superlux 687

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NTPNGF4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Also, Philips Fidelio X2 are very popular in certain parts.

I've had AKG702 which was very good for detail, but deffo too polite for certain tastes.

Am currently using Grado RS2e which are perhaps a little pricey, and am also using Master & Dynamic mh40 which are the total opposite of Grados (if you want out and out dynamics!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A guy done a very comprehensive review of 50+ headphones and should give you a better perspective of what your looking for.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared.634201/

I started to wade through this. Some people are capable of working through mind numbing tedium, I once worked on an an IT project that I knew inside out, a trainee came in and documented the workings inside out, it's something I could never have done, it would have killed me. This guy has done something similar with headphone reviews!

I would not consider K701 ... unless a good and powerful dedicated HP amp available
K701 are among my favourites, amplified, ... K240 studio or Superlux 687, both extremely fair priced from Thomann

Beyerdynamic DT990 available in several version
Admittedly I have yet to hear the new Superlux 687

Per, How do you place the K240 with respect to the K701/DT990 ? The price difference is something like 1 to 3, the photos on the Thomann website make the K240 or the Superlux 687 look like quality products at 60€, or so.

Per, How do you place the K240 with respect to the K701/DT990 ? The price difference is something like 1 to 3, the photos on the Thomann website make the K240 or the Superlux 687 look like quality products at 60€, or so.

Peter, I've had K240 for years as my "all round" HP.
Comfortable and don't do anything really wrong
Admittedly they're not getting much use these days (headphones for me is sort of seasonal) but for me they are a bargain. I did at some point change the cable to a longer one, pretty close to factory standard just longer, I am not a believer of fancy HP cables

I am however curious about how Superluxes would do the job, not really keen on the term luxury product, my AKG is much better built than any previously used superluxes, perhaps these K240 were made in Austria ?
K240 surely would be more happy on a dedicated amp though,( something I need to try again anytime soon.) Guess 687 don't need an amp.

Not really done a direct compare vs K701 which I use on a dedicated amp only
Clearly the K701 is more open and detailed, I'm sure you can find reviews via google on the "vs" subject.
Each and everytime I listen to HD600/650 and the likes, I am reminded AKG or Beyerdynamic cans, are more to my likings

I am however curious about how Superluxes would do the job, not really keen on the term luxury product, my AKG is much better built than any previously used superluxes, K240 surely would be more happy on a dedicated amp though,( something I need to try again sometime soon.) Guess 687 don't need an amp.

I think the Superlux are 150 Ω Headphones, I was looking over the Thomann site. There's an even cheaper model the 330 at < 30€ which apparently doesn't look like much but sounds very good. Once again it's chinese manufacture vs EU manufacture. The price is tempting, though.

Last edited:
I’ve used K701, 702 and have now settled on 712 as the best of the bunch, the added 3db in the bass makes all the difference and can still be had for a bargain.
Hadn’t heard about the 712, they sound good: I’d definitely want to hear them if I were in the market for new cans.

I'm seeing some Massdrop 7xx on the used market in France at about 160€, good price ?

Otherwise I can get K701/K702 for a bit less than 100€, in fact lots of k701 and a handful of K702.

I have a pair of the Fostex T50RP which I've changed the stock cable and the foam pads for some Shure ones and they are phenomenally good. More than a pair of £100 headphones has any right to be. Open, punchy, dynamic, detailed and sweet. They're comfortable (especially with the Shure pads) and never get fatiguing. I've never been a major headphone user but I can sit for hours enjoying these. Way more so than my B&W P7s, but that's probably more down to the open back than anything else.
Downsides: They're a pig to drive, I'm going to need a good headphone amp, they're big and look a bit like the archaic things you get handed to you on a hearing test, but if none of that bothers you, they're an absolute steal for the money.

I have Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm. I listen to the DT880 everyday, they are good all rounder and I never find them bright. There are also 250 and 32 ohm version of the DT880 which are much easier to drive.

I can get reconditioned 250 Ω (with full guarantee) DT 880, or the DT 990 for about 135€ shipped, that's not very much more than used prices here in France. I can get new ones (DT 990 Pro) for 2€ more!

I can get reconditioned 250 Ω (with full guarantee) DT 880, or the DT 990 for about 135€ shipped, that's not very much more than used prices here in France. I can get new ones (DT 990 Pro) for 2€ more!
If you get a chance to demo have a listen to the Beyer DT150!

If you get a chance to demo have a listen to the Beyer DT150!

I've had these apart from the looks they are really superb headphones often used in studios (closed)

Only sold them on as my DT250 does the job

108953_1.jpg

I keep going back and forth on this, and I think there are some price points where the are some bargains to be had.

• At around £50/60€ with the AKG 240 Studio, I just love the look of that phone, with its Art Deco looks.
  • At around £110/130€ there is a peloton of AKG 701/702 models, but criticism seem to point at "bass light", then there are the Beyerdynamics DT 880/DT 990s.
In France I can get any of these phones without additional shipping costs, and Thomann offers 30 day satisfaction guaranteed, so I can buy a couple of models and send back the one I like the least.
The finger is itching....

advertisement

Back