advertisement

Beocentre 9500: LH channel down

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
Hi chaps,

B&O Beocentre 9500 (my old mother's) LH channel not working. Any ideas?

I recently fixed the cd drawer, huge fiddle. Put it back & turning on, I noticed intermittence on LH channel.. then LH dead.

Urgh, you fix one thing then another pops up! It went for a £100 service a year ago (it was all dead & drawer stuck), but service guy not very helpful now. But he did email me this though:

"The mute relay often stops working on one channel and requires replacement. If a channel also doesn’t work on the unmuted speaker output it’s likely to be an amp issue."

So something to go on, but I don't fully understand. Thanks, Capt

@Beobloke (or anyone who might know)..

any knowledge on what a 'Mute Relay' is? Apparantly this Muting Relay is a 'very common problem affecting SP1'.. (speaker 1 presumably this abbreviation means).

Thanks, Capt

@Beobloke (or anyone who might know)..

any knowledge on what a 'Mute Relay' is? Apparantly this Muting Relay is a 'very common problem affecting SP1'.. (speaker 1 presumably this abbreviation means).

Thanks, Capt
The muting relay is what cuts the speakers off when you select ‘Mute’ on the unit or the remote. It generally only operates on the Speakers 1 output so that if Speakers 2 is being used to drive a Beolink system for round-the-house music, when you select ‘Mute’, only the speakers in your main room shut off.

These can cause issues and the headphone test mentioned above is a good one as the muting relay will not affect this. If you have two channels through headphones (or on the Speakers 2 output) but not on Speakers 1, then the muting relay is the most likely culprit.

The correct replacement part is available here:

@Beobloke Hi there,

tremendous help thanks so much for this reply. Well well I'm obviously hoping to goodness the 'phones test' checks out, & I can order this part. Fingers crossed.

Fab- thanks Capt

Thanks agian to @Beobloke ..

Did the phones test: both channels working. Good.

Then, weirdly enough, I tried just plugging speakers into 'Speakers 2' expecting no change (IE the L channel still down).. & would you believe it, both channels working again!

I did contact clean the terminals, even though L channel was still down afterwards (using 'Speakers 1' as had always & only been used).

So at last, it's fully working again. Mum (83) thrilled, me thankful Idont have to lug the s.o.b over to Wales fpr weeks of ballache fixing & relay section soldering. I did peep under the hood again, located, & took pics of the relay section though. Just in case I do have to redo it, someday.

My Mum sends her thanks to yourself @Beobloke !

Capt

Thanks agian to @Beobloke ..

Did the phones test: both channels working. Good.

Then, weirdly enough, I tried just plugging speakers into 'Speakers 2' expecting no change (IE the L channel still down).. & would you believe it, both channels working again!

I did contact clean the terminals, even though L channel was still down afterwards (using 'Speakers 1' as had always & only been used).

So at last, it's fully working again. Mum (83) thrilled, me thankful Idont have to lug the s.o.b over to Wales fpr weeks of ballache fixing & relay section soldering. I did peep under the hood again, located, & took pics of the relay section though. Just in case I do have to redo it, someday.

My Mum sends her thanks to yourself @Beobloke !

Capt

TBF, that is exactly what Beobloke said would happen... He said it's probably the relay which only operates on the Speakers 1 output.

TBF, that is exactly what Beobloke said would happen... He said it's probably the relay which only operates on the Speakers 1 output.

Ah but what your reply hasn't taken into account, I'm afraid at all Tw99, is that I really am quite thick:)

I only -fully- understand beobloke's reply with all the info in, after your reply here in fact. They're peculiar beasts these heavy sod all in one beocentres, compared to more typical separates.

Thanks chaps, Capt

advertisement

Back