advertisement

Beirut

So the blast was the equivalent of 1155 tons of TNT? what's a modern nuclear weapon 100,000 tons?

And we've got ten's of thousands of them, mental :(
And none have been used in anger for 75 years. That’s not a bad record.

Edit: from Wikipedia...

From a high of 70,300 active weapons in 1986, as of 2019 there are approximately 3,750 active nuclear warheads and 13,890 total nuclear warheads in the world.

So the blast was the equivalent of 1155 tons of TNT? what's a modern nuclear weapon 100,000 tons?

And we've got ten's of thousands of them, mental :(

US big-boom-bombs range in yield from 0.3 Kt to 1.2 Mt

So 300 tons to 1.2 million tonnes.

The Tzar Bomba was about 57 Mt.

Have been wanting Faslane on my door step for years to be shut down. There is no nuclear missiles stored near such a large population as is in Scotland in the world. Its dangers are subdued. One mistake there would wipe out 3/4 of the Scottish population. How that is acceptable is beyond me. If the majority of the local population understood what the real dangers were they would be terrified. Another good reason for independence SNP want them out of Scotland.

And none have been used in anger for 75 years. That’s not a bad record.

Edit: from Wikipedia...

From a high of 70,300 active weapons in 1986, as of 2019 there are approximately 3,750 active nuclear warheads and 13,890 total nuclear warheads in the world.

Yes many of us here have had the fortune live in relative peace and prosperity and we've a lot to be thankful for, i don't take that for granted.
Watching the footage of the explosion (and that it occurred in Beirut) touched a nerve, because what i was witnessing was something deeply destructive and unnatural. I know it was an accident, but on a primal level it touched a nerve.
As a child i was acutely aware of the warning siren on the roof of the school! If it went off, we would have 4 minutes before everything and everyone was destroyed, not even enough time to say goodbye to my parents.
Everyone breathed a sigh of relief after the ending of the cold war.

35 years later, that there are missiles that would ensure mutual annihilation are still pointed at towns and cities around the world seems (is) insanity.
I don't think man can be trusted with such power (we've had a few near misses in the past), and as of 2020 my trust in the sanity of world leaders to do the right thing, has been somewhat eroded!

Now of course we've now got the added uncertainty of of AI making our decisions for us, Terminator anyone?
Unless nature gets us first!

...and with that cheery post, i wish you good morning... :D

Many small nukes are at about 1 KT, like the 155mm ammunition
The Beirut explosion did relatively little damage because it was at ground level, The fuel air bombs and nukes are detonated well above ground

The EOD chap in the video I posted at #93 suggested that the fireworks in a contained space (eg an ISO container) could act as a detonator.

A industrial storage of fireworks alone is a pretty dangerous thing, If the storage had been further inland it could have been a different story.

The grain storage silo`s were certainly built up to saftey code, grain dust is pretty explosive too!

FFS,

Wd22XBp.jpg

I think the answer to her question is ‘yes’, but I’m not sure there’s much point trying to explain why to her.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom