advertisement

Being honest about your music collection to yourself

nightcleaner

pfm Member
Do you ever sit in your room look at your music collection big as it may be or small as it might be and think to yourself what shall i play and come to the conclusion you do not want to hear any of it?

Have you ever bought a LP or CD on a Wim after hearing just one track on the radio? Found that you only ever play this one track because the rest of the album so awful.. Going on a bit from that have you done this a lot of times always promising yourself you would never do it again. But you do because your only human. You end up with a pile of dud Cd's Lp's You hate. In a cupboard.

Just a couple i could mention in mine Tony Joe White/ Runrig / genesis/ Roxette/ Beverly Craven/ Bee gees/ crowded House/ The list is huge I been so stupid over the years.

I loved 60's 70's type greatest hits albums i have loads and i look at these with some embarrassment now.

I do not know for the life of me Why? Is it because of my age. Is it because i have evolved. I do not know why.

My Jazz collection I'm very proud of all my Miles Davis Wes Montgomery and Emily remlers and Diana Krall's Elaine Ellias Madeline Peyroux Lizz Wright Dave Brubeck's And jazz Guitar compilations i adore.

My love of soul with all my Motown and Atlantic and Hi and James brown Albums i collected over many years looks pretty bleak to me now and uninspiring.

Have you gone through any huge musical changes with maturity. Music to me has always been like looking at photos of old girlfriends. Theres memory in each piece. But even that not so rosey or seen through rose coloured glasses anymore.

Anyone else any thoughts or be honest about there collections. Should we feel embarressed. Or is this mearly a stage we all go through and have experianced?

The day it come home to me was with the invention of the MP3 player. I have a couple of Creative zens with a big hard drives. I put all my music collection on these. I take them to work. we talking 6,000 songs or more each . I do not want to hear one of them. Anyone else been here to?

My new cartridge arrived this morning,have just realised out of a collection of thousands the first six records played I bought over thirty years ago.

I never can't find anything to play but I do go through lengthy phases.

For instance I recently discovered (about 2 years ago) Porcupine Tree and for about 2 months after listened to nothing else. Then came Ozric tentacles and the same thing. Joe Satriani looms........

In the period between 'new' music I just grab anything.

But I can hand on heart say I have never been stuck for something to listen to.

Not finding anything to play is the bloke version of 'oh but I've got nothing to wear'

I've got a large collection, all types of stuff but sometimes I cann't find anything I want to play. Other times playing certain records makes me dig out piles of other records
ad infinitum.

Sometimes I'm just not feeling well , I get a lot of minor ear/throat problems , music sounds crap , so i give it a miss , but normally no , I often have the radio on , like now , listening to the proms.

The main problem I have is deciding that the only album I want to play right now is by wossname. You know, thingy. Wait a second, I can just picture the cover (but the picture doesn't include the title or artist).

Cue loading up Music Collector and trawling through album by album until I stumble across it, at which point the moment has fled...

I blame an excess of sherbet fountains in my youth.

Its why shuffle is such a good feature on an i pod. I use the i pod in the car each day and often can't find anything I fancy so put on shuffle and am constantly delighted by the tunes that come up, often stuff I'd forgotten about or not played for ages. It often leads me to search out the whole record when I get home.
Kevin

Well if there's nothing you want to listen to ... the safest conclusion is that its you I'd guess. Maybe its just a phase?

I mean all of us have changes in taste and make mistakes which means a chunk of stiff doesn't get played. And I think we've all had moments when we weren't in the mood. But if you have 12,000 tunes at hand and don't want to listen to any of it, and this has gone on for some time ... maybe the best thing is to forget about for a while and get on with other things. I'm sure it'll come back

The main problem I have is deciding that the only album I want to play right now is by wossname. You know, thingy. Wait a second, I can just picture the cover (but the picture doesn't include the title or artist).

Cue loading up Music Collector and trawling through album by album until I stumble across it, at which point the moment has fled...

I blame an excess of sherbet fountains in my youth.

What's music collector?

When I get bored of my music, I log in to my teenagers' iTunes and find a whole new era of stuff that's fresh and brings back the excitement of discovering good new music.

If you can't find anything you want to play, buy more stuff. Works for me.
The hardest part is remembering where I put things. Filing was never my strong point.

I only wish I could find things / remember where I put them, so that when I fancy THAT particular record I could get it and play it is it.

DS

Do you ever sit in your room look at your music collection big as it may be or small as it might be and think to yourself what shall i play and come to the conclusion you do not want to hear any of it?

No. I get tired of some music that I over-play, but there's always some unheard gem hidden in the depths of my collection. The problem is finding time to listen.

Since having a new subchasis fitted to the LP12 - the superb 'sound per pound' Sole, I've enjoyed so much more from the music on my album collection.

Stuff, I've rarely played is out of the sleeve and on the deck.

Since the arrival of the new mat from the same source, the system no longer sounds like its just playing records. The music just jumps up and grabs the attention.

Its like a new lease of life to the vinyl collection.

Whether you look to http://www.analogueinnovation.com/ or just get a better sound from your vinyl by other means, I'd be surprised if it all just sounded rather ordinary.

After all, if an old Flanders and Swan LP (At The Drop of a Hat) can still sound entertaining, then there's life in the old collection yet.

Well, I think it is a little like when the girls look into their big, over filled cupboard and states 'I have absolutely nothing' to wear!' ;)

There are quite a few records that I seldom or never play. But, sometimes it happens that I pick out a record that I never played since I bought it and discover that it's rather good. And just like a big library, I think it looks 'edjucated' to have a large record collection.

JohanR

I just spent 2 days making more new shelves (Expedit, thanks Ikea) and trying to cram several tens of feets of records into the filing system.

I have now given up,as 'H' has got out of control, mainly due to Hardfloor and Hawkwind. I had to stop picking out records and playing them there and then, so I listed to all of my d'jungle fever tracks via streaming, so I didn't have to put the needle on it is it.

This generated another big pile of duplicates to trade in. (Early onset of memory loss?)

Sometimes though too much multiplicity of choice is almost like no choice - where do you start? I did pick about about 100 all time favourites, and will be putting them on rotation.

DS

What I find is that as the collection increases in size, the sheer 'tyrrany of choice' makes decision difficult. SO, I end up going for the old favourites.

On the SB+, I tend to 'forget' about music when it drops off the 'New Music' list, and it's from that list that I do most of my listening. What I need is a paper catalogue of my music so that I remember what I have in there.

As to records: well, another thing that shapes my listening is vinyl condition: if it's scratchy or a bad pressing I tend to avoid it even if it's music I quite like. I wish I could claim otherwise, but there you have it.

I have often been tempted to drastically thin down the record collection (from around 1200 LPs - not massive by some standards, but enough to be too much choice). I've also started to thin down the CD collection as I transfer stuff to computer. I go to the cupboard, look at a cd and ask myself the question: "Will I ever listen to this again?" If the answer is no, or probably not, I don't bother ripping it and it goes into a pile which either gets given away or occasionally EBayed.

Which reminds me: must list some more of these...

advertisement

Back