advertisement

Behringer Active 2 way crossover - CPC special offer

Wilky

pfm Member
There have been a few enquiries on the DIY section regarding active crossovers recently and I've just seen an offer
in the latest CPC (sound and effects) sales flyer.

Behringer Super X Pro two way active crossover order code DP2741547 - £55 + VAT valid until 27 April

Here's a link to it in the CPC website;

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=DP2741547

Might be a cheaper alternative than DIY, but don't blame me for any blown tweeters!

Dave.

Active system rule No 1

The power amp connects directly to the tweeter
The power amp can deliver vastly more current than is needed to fry the tweeter.
Connect the wrong power amp to the tweeter (ie the one thats supposed to do bass) = visit to the shops !

been there, done that - now have black NACA5 for bass and white for treble!

Hi Steve.

Not wanting to 'teach granny etc....' but it can be dead easy when connecting and disconnecting kit
(especially when experimenting with different speakers or positioning) to feed the LF into a tweeter by mistake.....and it don't like it up 'em!!

Always best to connect bass (mid/bass) first - if it sound 'tinny' then no harm done.
Not so clever the other way around - buzzzzz, smoke, silence, tears...... :eek:

Other than that it's a steal at that price and from a good manufacturer.

Regards Dave.

Well I'm stuffed - Colasblue has said the same....hello BTW

I understand now !!
OK, so just to show how little I know (so there was no teaching granny to suck..), is this the kind of thing I need - I have SBL's, and am interested in trying them active, but for little money - I also have some Magnaplaners that I could give-it-a-go with, hence the need for adjustable - many thanks !

hi,
further in the catalogue, am I right in thinking that this
x.jpg

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/moduleDisplayPopup.jsp?moduleId=cpc/255974.xml
might be ok for Bariks??

dogrun.gif

Hi Steve and John.

I use a Snaxo 242 driven by 8 ALWSR's and a Avondale TPR on the switching/display side and I've not found the need to touch the xover as such.
I'm not sure if the crossover frequency selection and output levels would cover the SBL's and the Maggies (or Briks on the three way unit).

You'd need to look at the original crossover designs to get that info and compare with Behringer published specs.

I think David Ellwood has considerable knowledge in this field - didn't he offer some help with regard to working out the frequency points?

Perhaps he'll be along soon and give some advice......

Dave.

Dave - so if I were to forget about the maggies, would a snaxo be lots better than the Behringer ?
The SBL's are my main speakers, but the maggies are just some old kit that seems not to be selling, so I just wondered.....
David Ellwood did offer help (many thanks David) but it started to seem to complex for me, and I can't ask for hand-holding all the time (hah - what am I doing here then..)
Got to say, at £55 it does look good, and much cheaper than a snaxo, let alone a power supply...

I would imagine that the Snaxo should be better as it's designed to do that specific job.
As you say, the Naxo (if it's an earlier one) or Snaxo would need a power supply - Hi-Cap or Supercap
(or my case an AndyCap :D ) and you'd soon rack up the cost.

I did run mine from a Hi-Cap2, but that is sat on one side now due to the new power supply - which is far better than I expected.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if the Behringer sounded remarkably good if set up with at bit of care and attention and cost is a no-brainer.

..and just what is an andycap then....
And, just how much care and attention might be needed to set up the Behringer - I am a plug and play sort of guy (how wierd is that then...)

I am looking to give active a whirl, and at £55 is seems easy, and if in the future I need to get me a naxo or snaxo, then so be it, but will the Behringer give me a hint of whats to come without weeks of knob-twiddling (??? - I am a married man, after all..)

..and just what is an andycap then....

Ahh! I did post something a little while back, but it's still a bit 'prototype' so I'll hang on posting any p0rn until I sort the chassis and layout....

All thanks must go to Andy Weekes and the others for their hard work with the Sregs.

It certainly makes the Snaxo work well within the rest of the kit.

And, just how much care and attention might be needed to set up the Behringer - I am a plug and play sort of guy (how wired is that then...:D )

Sorry couldn't resist!

As long as you are careful then you should get some very good results - though it would save yourself lots of time to get as close to the original with calculated figures and go from there.

I had a Behringer x-over and it hummed so it went. Mucked around with the psu a bit but it wasnt worth it in the end.

Wilky - don't know wire you bother...
I emailed them, but got a reply asking for my account number so they could log a request for assistance - not very helpful, and it seems like I may have found another source of help - via a PFM'er..

this is the crossover i would recommend as a good starting point for experimentation.

http://www.behringer.com/DCX2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

obviously if serious you are better designing and building your own from discrete parts. but if you just want to get going quickly and easily go for this.

you can store the setups to compact flash so I imagine I could come up with the required settings for bariks and then post the files.

hey , we could have a competition to see who comes up with the best sounding crossover setup!

advertisement

Back