advertisement

Beginners DIY Valve amp

Any suggestions for books, kits, websites?

I have had a hankering for a while to build a simple single input line level valve amp...I know pretty much diddly-squat about valve electronics but have built a number of IC based electronic projects so are not a complete novice...also fairly lucky in having a useful knowledge base of people who like fiddling with valves albeit radio rather than hi-fi based.

Any suggestions for the beginner (besides don't stick your finger in 'ere)

Paul

I can only recommend stuff for valve guitar amp projects, I'm afraid, as that's what I've been meddling with. But the key thing I can suggest is to see if you can get hold of a kit - sourcing the parts can be tricky and expensive. If www.ampmaker.com had been around when I started getting my bits together, I'd have been a very happy person.

Quick google - how about http://www.worldaudiodesign.com/amplifiers.html for starters? Line level single input amp for £285? I think Robert of these parts built one of their kits and was very pleased with it.

PigletsDad said:
I don't know if they are simple enough for you, but Hagerman sells some valve based kits; I think the linestage one is called Clarinet.

See http://www.hagtech.com/
Interesting...I shall peruse more....

I was hoping someone had a recommendation along the lines of 'The Big Valve Amplifier Design Book for Idiot Boys(with nice pictures)'...;)

Paul

Peter Commeau (ex Mission) has started a company, World Designs, that has replaced World Audio Designs. His first product , a loudspeaker was dem'd at the Bristol Show this year to good comments. He has just bought out the spares from WAD and will be selling off their stock before producing his own amps, ss and valve.
The WAD bb has moved over more or less intact, to the World Design bb, which can be found via http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/

Regards Richard higgins

Hi Paul.

I know Nick of hificollective very well (www.hificollective.com).

At the moment he only does one amp - which is a 300B single ended amp. It's a very good valve amplifier.. to be frank (IMO/IME) it sounds better and uses better components than the offerings from competitors at and above its price point. It looks better too!

Nick is planning an EL84 amp kit, which will be some time in '06. This will be cheaper, but ultimately of course perhaps not as good as the 300B kit.

There are many other reasons to buy from Nick, and these include:

1) his online shop sells components, so if you want to upgrade parts (caps, wire etc) then you can just order better parts with the kit
2) he is a fantastic valve technician. If you cock up your build he can fix your amp for you and finish the project. He doesn't take the piss with the price of doing that either.
3) His kits are designed by Andy Grove of Audionote. It would be hard to have a better valve guru to design your amps for you.
4) He is a UK BASED kit manufacturer - which is more handy than you can imagine - no language barriers, customs declarations and other international pains to deal with.

Have a look and see what you think.

I have 2nd and 3rd favourite kit suppliers if you want them.

Peter Comeau, wonder if he could be pursuaded to make a kit for an HB1 with modern drive units & a nice veneer on the cabinet.....I'd buy one!

I bought and built a 2a3 based push pull amplifier imported from www.diyhifisupply.com in Hong Kong. Supply was easy and fast, he also has a support forum within the Audio Asylum. The guy that owns the company Brian Cherry is Canadian and very helpful by email. His products are excellent and very good value. He also offers a range of components for upgrade etc. Having built the kit and upgraded the signal path capacitors my amplifier left my previous Naim gear for dead.

advertisement

Back