advertisement

Beethoven's 5th and 9th

bonzo75

horns, planars, tannoys
Hi, can someone please recommend some good CD recordings, both PCM and SACD for these two symphonies?

I would like it both musical as well as hifi-ish (separation, soundstage and all that).

For 9 so far I like Bernstein's version with Weiner Philhamoniker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoH_h6yxgiI) and Rafael Kubelik 1974, I think Klemperer memorial? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVqmzKPbBtI)

Which of these, or any else, have good audiophile quality in CDs?

Similarly, any recos for 5, and any recos for Frantz Listz's Piano versions of the 5th and the 9th?

Also, is the Mahler arrangement of Beethoven's symphonies good, and any recos for that? I liked the 2nd movement of the 9th which I found on youtube

After watching the 9th on Saturday and going for the 5th now, it's all pouring out of skin. This music thing can get obsessive

Kedar,
The Carlos Kleiber/Vienna Phil recording of 5 and 7 is canonical. Simon Rattle's 5 with the Vienna Phil is worth hearing.
9 is a tricky one. Have a listen to Hogwood's recording with the Academy of Ancient Music. You'll find it utterly different from the recordings you mention.
Matt

Thanks. Yes I liked the Klieber version, good to know the SQ is good as well. Well check the others out

I like this 9 very much. Very much old school, slow tempi, but Böhm does it kind of right. And great soloists of course.

0002894455032_600.jpg

The 9th is not my preferred choice, but I'd not call it weak. TBH the 9th is not my preferred LVB symphony.

The Kleiber is renowned but recording quality isn't the equal of the performance. The violins are hard and glassy.

I'm often alone in this choice - but my preferred 9th is Hogwood's, who sadly passed away only recently.

Worth a punt maybe - the complete symphonies for £14.99 in the marketplace on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000004CYT/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Edit - I should add these are period instrument recordings, and the choir is relatively sparse in the 9th, but to these ears there's an excitement and emotion in it that I don't find elsewhere.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I realise I may be unfashionable but my favourite Beethoven is Karajan's 60s cycle, and the whole lot can be had in a beautifully presented 5xCD box with an additional blu-ray disc containing the whole lot in high-rez audio for not much money at all here: Karajan: Beethoven Symphonies 1-9 (1963) . Bargain!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Kleiber recording is known for this but it doesn't diminish the brilliance of the performance. I prefer his Seventh though. A beautifully articulated and paced performance. The glassinness of the violins is very obvious, even with the best equipment. A naturally played performance perhaps but not recorded.

Just got back from the 5th. The Festival Hall, though not ideal, has acoustics so much better than the RAH, and so I had a fabulous time. I was a bit pissed off after the 9th on Saturday at the RAH, the soloists were so muted, they hadn't even been given a mike.

Thanks for the recos, so no one has tried Mahler's or Franz Liszt's arrangements? How is Bernstein's recording quality

Another vote for the Kleiber 5 & 7, albeit with the already mentioned proviso about the recording (I find this about quite a few DG recordings of that era).

I like the Vanska/Minnesota series, both for sound and performance.

TonyL makes an interesting point about the 1960s Karajan being worth a listen - I'm rather taken with the Missa Solemnis from that period, with Gundula Janowitz, Christa Ludwig, Fritz Wunderlich and Walter Berry as the soloists.

Yes.I agree.DG recordings from the 70s had a tendency to emphasise brass, violins etc.Sadly the Kleiber falls into this category.

I've got the box set of Abbado and the Berlin Phil. on DG from 2000 & think it's fantastic, both the performances and the audio quality.

Highly recommended.

Abbado is a most consistent conductor and a real great in my eyes. Even his less memorable performances are at the very least decent.

I realise I may be unfashionable but my favourite Beethoven is Karajan's 60s cycle, and the whole lot can be had in a beautifully presented 5xCD box with an additional blu-ray disc containing the whole lot in high-rez audio for not much money at all here: Karajan: Beethoven Symphonies 1-9 (1963) . Bargain!

This is available now in 24 bit remastered from the original sources, and it is highly recommendable.

advertisement

Back