advertisement

Beethoven...

Sorry to be on topic, but has no one recommended Pollini's recordings of the late piano sonatas yet? For me he can do both sturm und drang and deeply lyrical or meditative moods, and he can make the shifts between these states both natural and compelling.

You can point to all those things, yes, but none of them are a decent argument for Waits being anything other than a minor wine bar crooner with a taste for a very sanitised nightclub avant-garderie.

Sorry Sideshow, I have to disagree. I'm not sure I can pin down what I like about Tom Waits but can relate to all of the characters he brings to life. I think you might just be trying to bring some life to this otherwise quiet Sunday morning.

Your Pal

Louballoo

Currently listening to this and loving it (no, it's not tom waits). So I think maybe I'm well into violin stuff. Any recommendations for composers with something a bit darker? (no, not tom waits.)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you're into String Quartet music that might be a bit darker, then late Schubert is probably your next step, then Brahms, then Shostakovich.

Hi-rez what?

Thanks for the details of the recording method, Teddy Ray. I've just had a listen on Amazon, out of curiosity, and the sound's very accurate and involving - almost tempted to buy it just to enjoy the sonic experience, as well as the music.

Thanks for the details of the recording method, Teddy Ray. I've just had a listen on Amazon, out of curiosity, and the sound's very accurate and involving - almost tempted to buy it just to enjoy the sonic experience, as well as the music.

ive got my own purist recordings of some groups...if anyone wants. 24/96

will pm. they are not scrubs..but good ensembles

advertisement

Back