advertisement

Beethoven, SymhonyNo. 6 33CX 1124

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I was cleaning some LP's today on the Loricraft, when I came across Karajan conducting the Philharmonic Orchestra, on Columbia 33CX 1124 (1955). What stunned me about it was that it had clearly never been played, with both sleeve and vinyl mint!

According to Discogs, it has no intrinsic value as such, but to find such an old record in this condition was a real surprise. The vinyl is both heavy and very flat too.

Old 33CX and the stereo (from 1958) SAX are lovely things, as are the corresponding Decca and HMV ranges. There are definitely some nice clean copies left out there! Classical buyers often had very nice high-end audio kit, this is the era of the 301, Decca arms and carts, Quad or Leak amps and huge mono corner horns etc.

Last weekend, I had the real pleasure of revisiting the old Decca mono [LP] recording of Each Kleiber leading Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.

I knew this LP from the school library till 1975.

I have the recording on a splendid Decca CD, so still have this glorious performance to enjoy, but it was a nice experience to revisit the old LP release after more than forty years ...

ATB from George

Last weekend, I had the real pleasure of revisiting the old Decca mono [LP] recording of Each Kleiber leading Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.

I knew this LP from the school library till 1975.

I have the recording on a splendid Decca CD, so still have this glorious performance to enjoy, but it was a nice experience to revisit the old LP release after more than forty years ...

ATB from George

Is it LXT 2587? (actually recorded in 1948 and transcribed from 78s onto LP)

If so, its included in this box (more for benefit of anybody else, since you already have on CD):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QHL0V3C/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Same box also has his recording of the 9th, though some high levels of distortion in parts.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is it LXT 2587? (actually recorded in 1948 and transcribed from 78s onto LP)

If so, its included in this box (more for benefit of anybody else, since you already have on CD):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QHL0V3C/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Same box also has his recording of the 9th, though some high levels of distortion in parts.

No, it's LXT 2872 (1953) on the Decca orange label, the earliest version I can find on LP.

Any links to the 1948 transfer to LP would be appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was quoting from the accompanying booklet for the Decca Mono Years box referenced above. Disk 31 includes the Pastoral Symphony conducted by Kleiber, which it says was recorded 24 & 25th Feb 1948, and originally released as LXT2587, so firmly still in the 78s era, as the accompanying gentle background "swish" testifies. (Sound quality is very acceptable though).

According to John Culshaw's book "Putting the Record Straight", quite a number of the first Decca LPs were transcriptions taken from 78s - involving arrays of 78 players, stopwatches and a lot of patience.

Quick search on Google shows LXT 2872 is with Concertgebouw, while LXT 2587 (as per Mono Years box) is with the LPO. Might seem unusual at that time for a conductor to re-record the same work, so I presume the Concertgebouw one was made for the LP era.

According to John Culshaw's book "Putting the Record Straight", quite a number of the first Decca LPs were transcriptions taken from 78s - involving arrays of 78 players, stopwatches and a lot of patience.

Fantastic book, I must reread it and Ring Resounding sometime.

advertisement

Back