advertisement

Bean To Cup Coffee Machine

Ended up buying a Sage Express Impress, very happy with it, much better tasting coffee than the pod type.

Well, to be fair, looking at it, that thing should give better tasting coffee than a pod machine! Lol. I’d become single overnight if that appeared on the counter :(

Thankfully coffee enthusiasm was here before marriage, bad luck to those of you would be risking divorce. The machine in my avatar is as complex as you want it to be but my wife has got used to using it and although will defer to me to make coffee if I’m around she uses it just as much for milk steaming for her and our teenager.

Jura E8 user here. It has been back once during the warranty period. Five years old now. 10,000 coffees. No idea what a service will cost.

Despite me having a water softener and setting it as such in the Jura, it still costs me as much in those softener canisters as coffee beans.

The next machine will likely be a S
age.

I would buy roasted coffee rather than a popcorn roaster to be honest. I’ve been roasting for about 17 years and made my way through an iRoast, a Hottop, a Gene Cafe, a Quest M3 and since 2016 a Dalian Amazon. Most people wouldn’t have the dedication of course. Big difference from roasts on good roasters though.

Back to the OP though Gus said up front he has a coffee set-up and wants the family convenience of a BTC. I’m not surprised by the comments about quality and cleaning, that might me go for cheap and accept replacing it frequently if I felt I had to have one, rather than paying a lot for one.
Just picking up on your post! I have a Genecafe. How far ahead is the Dalian? I think your advice about the BTC is spot on. Cheap and replace when busted.

What do you think about Illy coffee beans? I personally love illy coffee but how many of us are like that?
I've not had them for a while but when I have they're great. Are they worth the money? Hmm. You decide. As regards machines, I've been around the houses and if for domestic reasons I had to choose I'd have a French press and ground coffee of my choosing. If there were still space in the cupboard I'd have a moka pot or two. Having had a few of these too, I'd say that they aren't all created equal. So I'd try a few. I junked an Italian supermarket job, but I have a Crusinallo that's great and a 2 cup Bialetti that I've had over 30 years is fab too.

I steer well clear of those odd contraptions. I either do Nespressos (they can be very good) or French press, in which case I grind my beans with a manual grinder. Or if in a hurry with an electric one, but then at the expense of some flavour.
Anyway, each time one proud owner of those prepared a coffee for me, it tasted terrible.
Go figure.

Illy are deliberately dark roast to even out the flavour profile. They are OK if that is what you want. we would only use if desparate

Illy beans are the equivalent of a supermarket Jacob’s creek wine.

”holds fingers in ears and runs away….la…la…la….la….la…can’t hear you”

hugely better - I've had both, but gave up roasting about 5 years ago
Tonerei, I echo GT’s comments, worlds apart. Arguably a large drum roaster gets deeper into the bean than a stream of hot air does, the roasts take a few days more to mature but stay good for longer too without the emerging oils.

I can’t really add to the BTC thread per se here, for my taste any of the pre-roasted brands are stale and disappointing and I’ve yet to drink from a BTC that gives the quality I’m lucky enough (and dedicated enough) to drink. I do understand the convenience though for normal people (95% of the population) that happily live with one or a pod machine rather than a nerd such as myself.

When I first got into quality coffee some 20 years ago I regretted it within a year or two in the sense that I couldn’t go back, I had spoiled nearly all experiences of buying a coffee out, using a cheap consumer machine or buying roasted beans. I spent a few years taking an aeropress and ground home-roasted beans when I travelled. these days I take a 1zpresso K-Max and whole beans with me, I even take my own to Colombia each time which probably sounds like madness to most people. But in Colombia coffee is really an export crop so other than the coffee fincas you can stay at where the baristas who provide the presentations are knowledgeable enthusiasts, most of the country drinks pretty poor quality in my experience.

I have to say though on my last trip it was a bucket list holiday staying at not only a coffee finca and seeing everything from picking beans off geisha bushes and other varietals but also visiting a cocoa finca, roasting our own chocolate and having dinner with savoury and sweet chocolate featuring in the courses.

Tonerei, I echo GT’s comments, worlds apart. Arguably a large drum roaster gets deeper into the bean than a stream of hot air does, the roasts take a few days more to mature but stay good for longer too without the emerging oils.

I can’t really add to the BTC thread per se here, for my taste any of the pre-roasted brands are stale and disappointing and I’ve yet to drink from a BTC that gives the quality I’m lucky enough (and dedicated enough) to drink. I do understand the convenience though for normal people (95% of the population) that happily live with one or a pod machine rather than a nerd such as myself.

When I first got into quality coffee some 20 years ago I regretted it within a year or two in the sense that I couldn’t go back, I had spoiled nearly all experiences of buying a coffee out, using a cheap consumer machine or buying roasted beans. I spent a few years taking an aeropress and ground home-roasted beans when I travelled. these days I take a 1zpresso K-Max and whole beans with me, I even take my own to Colombia each time which probably sounds like madness to most people. But in Colombia coffee is really an export crop so other than the coffee fincas you can stay at where the baristas who provide the presentations are knowledgeable enthusiasts, most of the country drinks pretty poor quality in my experience.

I have to say though on my last trip it was a bucket list holiday staying at not only a coffee finca and seeing everything from picking beans off geisha bushes and other varietals but also visiting a cocoa finca, roasting our own chocolate and having dinner with savoury and sweet chocolate featuring in the courses.
I am getting slow! Just also noticed your avatar :) I have the exact same kit. Just bought a second machine for a place we bought down the country. A Lelit Bianca V3. I couldn't pass on it. The guy selling it including Niche and all his coffee toys. The kit was all about 12-14months old but like brand new. Have baulked on the large roaster. They are just too expensive and space consuming.

It is very difficult to have coffee out now I completely agree. I just go for a flat white as at least they have to put a bit of effort into making it.

Nice, lucky you! I understand entirely on the bulk and weight of a 1kg roaster and many folk can’t accommodate something like mine

Things move on of course and you might find some smaller recommendations from the forum folk on DaveC’s site

Before I had the set-up for the Dalian I certainly found moving from the GeneCafe to the Quest M3 a worthwhile improvement and just as portable which is why I happily imported mine directly from the manufacturer back around 2012 give or take a year or two. There has to be a decent current equivalent out there.

advertisement

Back