advertisement

BBC

Linn Naim

pfm Member
As the BBC are a non-commercial public broadcaster, why are they being allowed to advertise DAB on both tv and radio stations???

Chris N

With analogue TV it was easy - DVB was pretty good, gave proper widescreen and most importantly was very easy to fit as an add on to existing sets. We had been used to connecting VHS players, consoles etc for years so adding in another box wasn't that difficult.

Now consider what I'd have to do in my car. There are no scart sockets or inputs on it. My car stereo is integrated into the dashboard. The only solution I can think of is replacing the whole kit (expensive) or buying a new car (v.v.v expensive). Unlike the TV I don't want a dongle clogging up my car interior just so it can re-radiate an FM signal that my radio can receive.

Don't get me wrong, digital radio in whatever form can be good, most of my listening at home is via streaming radio now. Unfortunately DAB was obsolete the day it was switched on and maybe streaming via 4G networks should be the future of digital radio.

I'm in favour of the shutdown. Then the frequencies can be used by broadcasters who don't threaten us with prison to force payment of their protection money, whether we want the service or not. My £150 per annum could be better spent too.

what demise?

The one that is repeatedly put further and further back as the 50% uptake figure is nowhere near being achieved.

Don't forget we are talking about politics & politians. A pit of vipers all hissing with forked tongues & sliding into the shadows of long grass.
At worse they could just find an excuse to change the 50% policy which looks like it will be reached sometime after we have all departed our mortal coils (snakes !! get it)
Or what looks like a change of government in 2015 when python Miliband will start a job creation plan & spend more millions on jobs for not that many to add to the national dept. & force us all into something that we don't need or want.

Don't forget we are talking about politics & politians. A pit of vipers all hissing with forked tongues & sliding into the shadows of long grass.
At worse they could just find an excuse to change the 50% policy which looks like it will be reached sometime after we have all departed our mortal coils (snakes !! get it)
Or what looks like a change of government in 2015 when python Miliband will start a job creation plan & spend more millions on jobs for not that many to add to the national dept. & force us all into something that we don't need or want.

Doesn't matter. The DAB take up rate is inflated and still abysmal. FM switch off with heightened coverage of people's many radios heading for landfill, problems with DAB coverage, remote areas blah blah. It won't happen for DAB, and the earliest prediction by even those with heavily vested DAB interests is 2017. DAB will die first. Internet radio will likely be the ultimate replacement.

More stations was never a selling point to a public that listens mainly and quite rightly to the BBC - for them, DAB offers nothing and quite possibly no service at all. Sell that to voters.

I was well peed at that TV advert. How about an Advert explaining how much better FM sounds, and that in tricky to reach areas DAB can fail completely while FM might crackle a little? ... and as mentioned above, be careful people your new shiny DAB may not last forever.

Its in the public interest.

Disgusting.

:rolleyes:

Internet radio will likely be the ultimate replacement.
Spot on.

DAB's use of MPEG2 was possibly a good choice when first designed, but was already obsolete at launch.
Combined with there being no global digital radio standard, its lack of future is assured.
Internet radio wins on choice, device support, codecs, sound quality (at equivalent bandwidth) and global standardisation.

Admitting that DAB has no future is too embarrassing for politicians and the BBC to admit. Keeping wasting tax and license payer money on promoting a dead technology is so wasteful as to be almost criminal.

FM and Internet radio will still be around and working well long after DAB is finally buried.

I'm in favour of the shutdown. Then the frequencies can be used by broadcasters who don't threaten us with prison to force payment of their protection money, whether we want the service or not. My £150 per annum could be better spent too.

How could it be better spent? less than 50pence a day for all that the BBC provides. It has to be the best bargain in the united kingdom. There is no other country in the world where you can get such a massive range of services for that sort of money.Nor the all-round quality either.
NB: I used to work for the BBC, but that wouldn't influence my view because I pay the licence fee like anyone else. I also know that it is pretty toughly run...even the bosses travel economy class and stay in quite cheap hotels. Private companies I worked for were far more careless with their money.

If private companies don't spend their money then they might end up having to declare profits and hence pay tax...

How could it be better spent? less than 50pence a day for all that the BBC provides. It has to be the best bargain in the united kingdom. There is no other country in the world where you can get such a massive range of services for that sort of money.Nor the all-round quality either.
NB: I used to work for the BBC, but that wouldn't influence my view because I pay the licence fee like anyone else. I also know that it is pretty toughly run...even the bosses travel economy class and stay in quite cheap hotels. Private companies I worked for were far more careless with their money.

Well said and I don't, and never have worked for them. But the licence fee is something I happily pay.

It's among the best items I can spend money on, the license fee. If it went to a subscription service I'd happily pay more. There's a lot if dross with adverts every ten minutes that I just don't go near. Sky, I wouldn't touch with a pair of tongs.

advertisement

Back