advertisement

BBC to put classical music archive online

Seems like a very good idea - I expect that many of the very early (pre tape) recordings will need a bit of cleaning up though, hopefully this will be an on-going project.

Wow, if they do it well that will become a very significant global music streaming resource.

Thanks for the heads up on this. It can’t be complete, surely? That would just be too good to be true.

Two things occur to me- how big is the archive ( do they destroy recordings ?)and do they own the rights or the artists? This must be one of the biggest treasure troves in the world.

Two things occur to me- how big is the archive ( do they destroy recordings ?)and do they own the rights or the artists? This must be one of the biggest treasure troves in the world.

I imagine a lot of recordings were wiped and the tapes reused.

As for rights, I wouldn’t be surprised if only the BBC orchesras were available. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Older recordings will be in the public domain - I imagine that others will depend on the circumstances when they were recorded.

Downloaded the App onto my i-pod touch & i-pad today. Struggled a bit with i-pod so concentrated on i-pad with much its much better display. Fairly easy to navigate & plenty of music there. Did not spend much time finding my way, instead did a search on "Verdi Requiem", one of my favourite pieces, & came up with half a dozen options. Chose an ROH performance & it was very good quality for such complex music. There was a bit of overlap from previous programme broadcast but once into it, it seemed to be a straight copy of what was broadcast on the day. Then did a second search on "Mussorgsky" hoping for a proms performance of his opera "Kovanschina" from last year's proms but it was not there. Settled for an episode from Composer of the Week which again was a straight copy of original broadcast.

I need to spend more time finding my way around the App & assess just how much & what music is there, but it is certainly worth exploring.

Is this already accessible then, I can't find it!

It is certainly available as an App called "BBC Sounds
" on i-pod & i-pad. Having negotiated it on my i-pad a couple of days ago, I had another attempt on my i-pod but again struggled to find much - but then using the BBC radio i-player App instead, after a bit of a struggle I found loads of music on that.

I don't know about other platforms but would have thought it was widely available.

P.S. Now corrected it from Music to Sounds - sorry for any confusion about that - don't know why I said Music as I new it was sounds - perhaps I has more wine than I thought

Last edited:

advertisement

Back