advertisement

BBC Radio 3 record review this Sat

Stunsworth

pfm Member
Live programme this Sat morning as part of record store day. They'll be playing vinyl. Here are the speakers they'll be using...

C9x88Z5XsAEy9L8.jpg

And here's the turntable...

C9x9dJqWAAAvkE7.jpg

Surely the music that comes out of your radio gets transmitted by some other direct route than via a recording of what is playing out of the bar speakers. No?

Surely the music that comes out of your radio gets transmitted by some other direct route than via a recording of what is playing out of the bar speakers. No?

Yes. That's where part of the programme is being transmitted from, so it's for the benefit of the live audience at the venue.

Just spotted this and switched from the normal 'HD' version to the FLAC trial. I've no idea whether the set-up at Spiritland is comparable to their concert broadcasts or not. Maybe a slight improvement - very hard to judge with continual switching between chunks of Mahler2. However during conversation there's a sense of background atmosphere which I associate with lossless sound (and the reviewer's throat problem seems more evident :) )

The most obvious difference so far has been the switch from satellite feed to computer audio - a really big step up. I had thought faffing about with the laptop was unnecessary for day-to-day listening (using the same DAC/Amp/Speakers) but from now on the satellite will be confined to TV only.

I put my tuner into storage (the top of the wardrobe) a while ago and only stream radio these days.

A couple of photos from today's venue...

C9_9dxkWAAAq8dx.jpg

C9_9FCQXgAA1tyB.jpg

C9_8qLZWsAAwz1T.jpg

You're clearly on the spot. Involved with the beeb or the venue?

If William is there, as opposed to on tape, he badly needs a Strepsil. (Other lozenges are available)

Ah! It was the one of Paul Noble that had me confused.

The sound is definitely an improvement. The fact that the two feeds are at different strengths, plus the slight delay on switching made comparison difficult.

Regarding levels, make sure you have the volume control on the webpage set to 11 (seriously).

There's an intriguing segment about audio restoration at the moment. There was some Cortot from the 30s that sounded amazing.

The Cortot did sound remarkably good. Must look at Andrew Rose's website.

Done. Thanks.

Agree about the restorations - previously I'd have shied away from any recording as old as that. (For me there's no contest between the 2 Mahler recommendations - Rattle/CBSO purely on the recording quality.)

Talking of which, the Shostakovich sounds extraordinary, apart from the odd spit.

Regarding levels, make sure you have the volume control on the webpage set to 11 (seriously).

There's an intriguing segment about audio restoration at the moment. There was some Cortot from the 30s that sounded amazing.

The audio restoration guy was really interesting and the results with Toscanini's Verdi Requiem and the Rhapsody in Blue with Benny Goodman were impressive. I think they've definitely got a market there.

FWIW I've not listened yet. But I captured the flac stream whilst out shopping. No error reports in the log, so fingers crossed, should be OK. Did the capture on a laptop.

However the computer I normally use to play into the main hifi decided to trash itself yesterday. So I'll need to do some fiddling about before I can give the programme a decent listen.

I'm listening to it right now. I enjoyed the bit where they played the wrong side of Steve Reich

advertisement

Back