advertisement

BBC Punk season

Blimey, reading some of the posts here it looks like I'm in a minority- I've always thought that 'Liddle Towers' and 'Badman' (to name but two) were great singles from whatever 'movement' they might be from.

One other interesting scene, during the Poly Styrene film was her visit to the record plant where we saw women on the production line placing vinyl records into sleeves, for the most part wearing protective gloves. However we also got sight of the precious vinyl being packed into LP sleeves without any kind of protection.

Blimey, reading some of the posts here it looks like I'm in a minority- I've always thought that 'Liddle Towers' and 'Badman' (to name but two) were great singles from whatever 'movement' they might be from.

Angelic Upstarts were excellent. I thought the Rejects became shit very quickly though. Saw them once and it was basically a football fight.

Watched it on the hard drive tonight; the second programme gave me more goosebumps than any programme for years. Most enjoyable, takes me back.... oh, and Siouxsie....

Angelic Upstarts were excellent. I thought the Rejects became shit very quickly though. Saw them once and it was basically a football fight.

The first Cockney Rejects LP was definitely the best.

I bought the 3CD Complete EMI set recently and looking back it is admittedly patchy after the first record.

The fighting at the gigs was depressing though.

Saw the Angelic Upstarts at the Durham Punk festival last year - they were brilliant (as were the other bands). Had never liked them that much previously, as I've never been an 'Oi' fan, but had to revise my opinion somewhat.

It's often worth going to see a lot of these bands today. With 30 years or so playing behind many of them, they've mostly reached pretty good standards of performance, often with good new material. The Damned and UK Subs are great examples; Capt. Sensible's a fab guitarist, and Monty the keyboard chap is no slouch either. Gig atmosphere is more party-like too these days - I generally have a better time now and usually end up jumping around at the front despite being sober and 'mature'. Still younger than the bands though...
Andrew

Saw the Angelic Upstarts at the Durham Punk festival last year - they were brilliant (as were the other bands). Had never liked them that much previously, as I've never been an 'Oi' fan, but had to revise my opinion somewhat.

It's often worth going to see a lot of these bands today. With 30 years or so playing behind many of them, they've mostly reached pretty good standards of performance, often with good new material. The Damned and UK Subs are great examples; Capt. Sensible's a fab guitarist, and Monty the keyboard chap is no slouch either. Gig atmosphere is more party-like too these days - I generally have a better time now and usually end up jumping around at the front despite being sober and 'mature'. Still younger than the bands though...
Andrew

Quite right- Seen The Damned a few times over the last couple of years, always guaranteed a good night out.

Btw Andrew, spot on about Sensible's guitar playing as well.

advertisement

Back