advertisement

BBC 4: The Troubles - A Secret History

I did my best with this, and got through the first five. But after a while, the syntax of the prog ("We can now reveal", etc), and some of the annoying visual tropes, especially with the drone filming, became so bad that I couldn't really put up with it.

That said, there are some amazing moments, like the PIRA guy cracking up about whether it was worth it.

I did my best with this, and got through the first five. But after a while, the syntax of the prog ("We can now reveal", etc), and some of the annoying visual tropes, especially with the drone filming, became so bad that I couldn't really put up with it.

That said, there are some amazing moments, like the PIRA guy cracking up about whether it was worth it.
Yes, that bothered me a little but not enough to stop watching.

None of that bothered me, the information and subject was far more imteresting and important to worry that.

Very worthwhile series. Interesting to see that some of the more 'extreme' accusations about collusion between the Army and the Unionist paramilitaries proved to be verifiable. There are many lessons to be learnt from this series.

I remember that moment too - quite striking in its impact. I never imagined I'd ever hear sentiments like that from former IRA men.

I've seen the first six episodes so far - just episode 7 to go.

I remember that moment too - quite striking in its impact. I never imagined I'd ever hear sentiments like that from former IRA men.

I've seen the first six episodes so far - just episode 7 to go.

I'm surprised that there were not more paramilitaries on both sides who now regret what they did.

Excellent documentaries, I'm quite glad to see the collusion of various agencies and paramilitary organisations and the actions of the various paramilitary organisations and there political counterparts exposed on national television.
I think the vast majority of people on the UK mainland have no idea just how utterly corrupt some of the people in power have been and some still remain in N.Ireland & abroad.

What I find utterly ridiculous is the money spent on public inquiries into things like bloody sunday when the dogs in the street know only too well exactly what has taken place.
So many things could be said. I find it hardest to watch the innocent families tell of their suffering knowing full well they'll never ever see justice and practically all the answers are out there just locked away by the government.

Just the wanton violence really upset me, the way they justified 'legitimate targets', the murders in front of family members etc. None of this is remotely justifiable, the weasle words from Adams, McGuiness & counterparts on other side may me retch.

advertisement

Back