advertisement

BBC 3 Glastonbury coverage

Tony L

Administrator
Just over a hour in and fine so far! Snow Patrol first and now a blinding set by Franz Ferdinand. I’m sure it will all go pear shaped the closer we get to the old fart headliners…

I’ve decided I really like Franz Ferdinand – ok, they are nothing new, I see them as Josef K with the lovely jagged ultra-trebly edges smoothed off a bit - its great stuff! Any band with a red glitter Hagstrom guitar just has to be alright. Must buy their album soon.

Tony.

Missed Franz Ferdinand - shame as I like the way their songs reference back to early 80s Postcard bands. Their album is cool and well worth the punt.

Did see Goldfrapp though. I don't know what to say! She sounded fantastic and the pony tail was, errr, distracting, if you know what I mean!

The hair-free Kings of Leon are sounding quite bouncy too.

Ed.

Did see Goldfrapp though. I don't know what to say! She sounded fantastic and the pony tail was, errr, distracting, if you know what I mean!

I'm rather disturbed to admit that the phrase 'butt plug' entered my mind... I initially thought the poor girl hadn't had enough time to put a skirt on, and then I caught site of the 'item'. Whatever it was (and perhaps because of it) she certainly hits those high notes with remarkable precision.

King of Leon sounding good as I type...

Tony.

Press the red button! I hadn’t worked it out before, but the BBC are running two separate streams on their BBC 3 Glastonbury coverage with the ‘new bands’ tent being given a hell of a lot of coverage on the red button feed. No need to sit through the old farts and commercial crap now! Stunning. The BBC rock!

Tony.

Quite good innit? A lot better than last years coverage. The presenters are still a bit lightweight GMTV and the directions a bit confusing but it's better than nowt

Franz Ferdinand were great . Not too sure about that New Romantic style arm swinging malarkey but their guitar sound is lovely - nice and tweedy fender stylie. Their album is worth getting. Nice and heavy 200g vinyl.

Snow Patrol were quite good but the Rapture ? Jeezuz. What is with that singer? Never knew Robbie Fowler could play bass.

Elbow? Badly Drawn Boy? Dull.

Saw the Bees set for i/2 an hour from the New tent after switching over to interactive. Loved their first album but not too sure of the new stuff. Seemed to be enjoying themselves on stage though. Like Groove Armada. More please.

The Kings of Leon were absolutely superb. Rawk n Roll at its finest. Brilliant. Love 'em to death. I screamed out at the Telly when they switched over to pretentious bloody Goldfrapp again after just 3 numbers. Tits n Ass! No thanks. Fagtime.

Oasis just went through the motions and looked plain bored. Thought Ringos lad was a bit good but I got bored with it after 4 songs and switched over to interactive to watch Spiritualized who were so totally stuck up their own arse I made a cup of cocoa and went to bed.

You can watch PJ Harveys full set as well as FF Here

Well as long as it isnt as shambolic as the BBC coverage from about 3 years ago when Bowie headed up the Sunday night. They played about the opening two songs then cut to (for some daft reason) a huge chunk of Basement Jaxx, then showed the opening two Bowie songs again. Once we though we were getting somewhere, it was back to Basement Jaxx again!!!

Whoever produced that year wanted to be shot. I lost a lot of faith in the BBC over that.

Imagine the coronation and then just before the crowning, they switch to "Eastenders Uncovered!" for half an hour.:rolleyes:

Well as long as it isnt as shambolic as the BBC coverage from about 3 years ago when Bowie headed up the Sunday night. They played about the opening two songs then cut to (for some daft reason) a huge chunk of Basement Jaxx, then showed the opening two Bowie songs again. Once we though we were getting somewhere, it was back to Basement Jaxx again!!!

I know what you mean – I remember having to sit through about an hour of the bloody Manic Street Preachers because they promised to show Sigur Ros – they never got round to it so that was about an hour of my life totally wasted! There are actually three streams this time, I didn’t notice the dance tent one when I posted last night – this has to mean that there is no reason to sit through any Sir Paul etc! Almost everything I am interested in will be on either the new bands or dance tent, and both have their own coverage. I managed to totally miss Oasis last night… Result!

This year is by far the best coverage the BBC has ever given - the interactive aspect is the best usage I have seen so far for this technology, I never realised there was enough bandwidth to send three full screen feeds on one channel! The BBC's Glastonbury web site is also excellent: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/glastonbury - I shall not begrudge my license fee quite so much this year!

Tony.

Also watched last night and really enjoyed the Snow Patrol set, definitely undertones of Mogwai in there, but a bit less depressing ;)

Never heard of them before, so will definitely be watching the rest to look for the good stuff. I missed Goldfrapp, but also though Franz Ferdinand were great.

Let's hope it stays good, must try that red button...

Andy.

Be careful with the red button.

When I pressed mine the sound went off. Told me to press select for new bands. Stayed like this for 10 min. Could not turn the sky box off. Unplugged it. Now it will not turn on. Hope I get it fixed before DR Who tomorrow morning.

If anyone wants to know the lineups, the beeb has a page here which allows you to look.

Tomorrow the Pyramid tent has some real fave's of mine, Muse, Morrisey (I really hope they show some of this) and Christy Moore (wierd, all those are M's...).

Divine Comedy and Bonnie Raitt are around too, I'm begining to wish I was there, based on what I've seen so far!

They are also streaming entire sets Live from the Glastonbury pages too, so that could be worth a look-in if it doesn't all fall over ;)

Andy.

Highlights of today so far have been wonderfully cheesy and remarkably accomplished Scissor Sisters, the Von Bondies and Tim Booth. A good word also has to be said for Jamie Cullum too - a remarkably violent performance of Cole Porter’s I get no kick from champagne – he can play piano, that’s for sure.

Before the interactive bit went active at about 10:00 I found myself having to listen to Starsailor (inoffensive / boring) and worse still the Black Eyed Peas (just crap). Just been watching The Hope of the States who were pretty cool. At least there is no need to watch Sir or the god-awful Basement Jaxx. Disappointed not to see any Plaid / Squarepusher / The Egg, but it doesn’t seem they are covering the Glade Dance Area at all, shame as there is some damn good stuff on there tomorrow too.

Wahey - Television are on tomorrow!!! Also looking forward to Muse, Morrissey, Orbital, Gomez, Belle & Sebastian Divine Comedy – a far better line-up than today really.

Tony.

PS Got the Franz Ferdinand LP today… damn good!

Ended up watching Sir after all - Zero 7 were pretty dreary on interactive and Basement Jaxx were Basement Jaxx. Sir actually put on a damn good show, far better than expected. Great version of Helter Skelter, and plenty of other Beatles stuff all played with surprising vigor for an old guy.

Tony.

I was well impressed with Tim Booth's performance too. Caught the last song of the Starsailor set - always found them fairly crappy, but thought that was OK.
Glad someone agrees with me on Basement Jaxx. Wasn't too sure about Hope of the States though - his voice wasn't up to much IMO.

Macca's drummer was scary looking guy, wasn't he!

Didn't enjoy Saturdays TV coverage as much as Friday but maybe that was the line up. I'm hoping and praying that they show some of Televisions set tonight but I've got a feeling it's gonna be all Muse and Orbital. I'd been hoping to see some of Ben Harpers or Spearheads sets from yesterday but so far no joy. The Beebs coverage is as straight and predictable as last year again. Shame really. There's so much going on.

Thought Keane were crap and they seemed to be using taped backing tracks. Scissor Sisters didn't dissapoint but I still can't decide on Starsailor,somethings missing but I can't think what. Jamie Cullom can play a bit but his materials weak and he looks half way to being a madman The Von Bondines weren't bad but Hopeless of the States and the crotch grabbing Black Eyed Peas were switched off to watch the extra time in the footie.

Highlight of the day was Joss Stone. What a voice. Great Band too. Enjoyed the Big Mac show as well. His band were tighter than a Gnats and his voice is still there. That drummer was a bit fierce wasn't he?

Nice finale all in all.

I saw the highlights on BBC2 last night.

Was there much coverage of a trio called The Subways on digital? They were covered briefly on 2 after they won an unsigned competition to play the main stage.

They sounded great. Raw and punky, but with a really massive sound and that subtle sense of architechture the makes stripped music nuanced and interesting.

Black Eyed Peas were crap. They made some good FM singles but live hip hop always seems to sound like just a load of old shouting to me.

Oasis sounded out of date. Shapeless riffs, no rhythmnic backbone, guitar sound like a wall of ringing static.

Joss Stone was good, but she's still a developing talent, sounding a bit jittery and uncontolled in parts. Great body :)

Today’s highlights:

Muse were utterly astounding! I’m not quite sure whether I actually like them, but there is no doubt that they can put a show on. Real jaw on the floor stuff – a hell of a good racket from three people! Unquestionably prog-rock regardless how hard anyone may attempt to deny it!

Orbital – I missed more than I watched as I pretty much followed Muse around between channels. Shame as I’d have loved to see the whole set as it was their last ever – I was working on the assumption that as I’ve seen them live many times I probably didn’t miss anything I’d not seen before. I’ve been to some very good Orbital gigs!

The Ordinary People – kind of a early Jam remake, but with real energy and enthusiasm. They had that whole ‘its falling apart, we better hit it even harder’ thing going on which I love.

Bell & Sebastian – only two tracks but they were superb. I must get to see this lot at some point.

Massive disappointment: The BBC buggered up the sound when recording Television so it couldn’t be shown… Arse.

Tony.

Be careful with the red button.

When I pressed mine the sound went off. Told me to press select for new bands. Stayed like this for 10 min. Could not turn the sky box off. Unplugged it. Now it will not turn on. Hope I get it fixed before DR Who tomorrow morning.

Did it get better? If not it might be worth forcing a firmware update – make sure the modem is connected and plug the power in whilst holding down the ‘back up’ button. Takes about 3 minutes.

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L

Muse were utterly astounding! I’m not quite sure whether I actually like them, but there is no doubt that they can put a show on. Real jaw on the floor stuff – a hell of a good racket from three people! Unquestionably prog-rock regardless how hard anyone may attempt to deny it!

Undeniably prog. I heard one of the songs they played and liked it, nice to see people still appreciate the healing power of a bit of guitar feedback. Deep Purple meets skate punk meets Pink Floyd in the bit I saw.

I saw a bit of the Sir Macca coverage too, I always get a tear in the eye listening to The End, nice to see he didn't bugger it up by gurning too much. Pretty good version of Helter Skelter too. Gawd bless him, he was much less annoying than I expected.

-- Ian

I heard one of the songs they played and liked it, nice to see people still appreciate the healing power of a bit of guitar feedback.

Absolutely, and they did it with so much style on the last song: just when you thought it couldn’t get any more full tilt the vocal / guitar / piano guy trundled a Marshall 4x12 on stage, laid it down on its back, stood on it and went mad in a hail of feedback. Quality stuff. Then he got off the speaker cab and demolished half of the drum kit. The bassist, obviously not wanting to be outdone, stage-dived into the crowd, bass still attached. They then actually managed to build the song up again, half a drum kit / guitarist totally freaking out / bassist lying in crowd playing the bass on his head! The thing is that they were still tight as **** even in this truly absurd situation - superb! I’ve seen many bands try and pull this kind of thing off, but I’ve never seen anyone succeed so well.

Tony.

Morrisey seemed fairly bored with the whole thing as usual. Could hardly hear him sing at times.

Looks like the late Stanley Baker to me.

advertisement

Back