advertisement

Battling US imperialism

Meanwhile, inside the actual USA, wearing blue jeans is very much a sign you belong to what the NK people would call the "proletariat".

It was mainly outside the US, abd especially in Continental Europe, where blue jeans became a marker of fashionable wealth. At one point in the early 1990s, chic German nightclubs and American dive bars were both filled with men wearing blue jeans, drinking Bud and smoking Marlboros...

Whenever I see jeans in a film or tv show they always seem to be Levis, what kudos that brand has - saying that, I have never found a pair that fit me properly. I remember when they were about £3 back in the 60’s which was regarded as extremely expensive in my neighbourhood and last time I looked in JL they were about £100!

Back when I travelled to California a lot, I used to bulk-buy Levis at the local Mervyns (locals will now know how long ago this was) for about $24 a pair - less than a third of the retail price in Ireland at the time.

You could get them even cheaper in the outlet stores, but they used to only have the bizarre sizes.

What was seen as an upmarket brand in Europe most definitely was not in the US.

Back when I travelled to California a lot, I used to bulk-buy Levis at the local Mervyns (locals will now know how long ago this was) for about $24 a pair - less than a third of the retail price in Ireland at the time.

You could get them even cheaper in the outlet stores, but they used to only have the bizarre sizes.

What was seen as an upmarket brand in Europe most definitely was not in the US.
Like a lot of workwear I guess. I've bought Carhartt stuff in the past from Daves Army & Navy in Manhattan for a quarter of what it costs in the UK.

The comrades want to control your wardrobe:

"Wearing jeans in North Korea is illegal and has been since the mid-1940s. The decision to ban wearing jeans in the country was made after the Korean War ended and is seen as part of an attempt to ensure North Koreans conform to the regime’s ideals of dress" (NK).

advertisement

Back