advertisement

bass boom

Oh sorry. Of course. Just google revues. I think I read three and two mentioned the bass being a bit loose. I don't remember which reviews.
I literally can't find one review saying that, but maybe looking in the wrong places. I would be very interested to read them!

I literally can't find one review saying that, but maybe looking in the wrong places. I would be very interested to read them!
Here's one.

Hi-Fi Choice
"While it might certainly have been smoother – slight ‘one note’ tendencies were apparent at times – the bass gave a good impression of scale and weight and provided a firm foundation with convincing dynamic expression."

Here's one.

Hi-Fi Choice
"While it might certainly have been smoother – slight ‘one note’ tendencies were apparent at times – the bass gave a good impression of scale and weight and provided a firm foundation with convincing dynamic expression."
Thanks

Without pictures of the room and REW measurements from the listening position I think @Chris81's "acoustic nightmare of a room" conclusion is a bit premature!

@ToTo Man : The basis for my statement is this:
They are floor standers, but I can rest them on a chair each, to see what happens. The walls, I should add, are bare plaster at the mo, the only furniture is 2 sofas, and a flimsy bookshelf covering an archway into another room. It is possible the bookshelf back is wobbling along with the bass.

Ok cheers. Someone else did suggest amp/speaker change which is my least preferred option. Yours is much more doable!
I was only talking about a more or less empty room not your room per se. I have to admit, I over read the "at the mo" first.
But still, bass problems are hard to solve with furniture and other "living room stuff".

Neil P, have you tried walking around the room while boom inducing music is playing? Are there places where it does and doesn't boom? I have done this, and the corners, plus where I sit (against the back wall; I can't change that) are the boomiest places in the room. About 30Hz where I sit and that is despite superchunk* damping in all the top corners and front wall. If I sit forward it flattens out, but that isn't practical for the two of us. I have now given in and resorted to DSP**, and the boom has gone. And I have had different speakers here, but any that go low would boom. I make my own, and can change the bass loading, but that didn't work either. My floor is solid concrete with solid oak glued to it, and the speakers are on Townshend type feet.
If you can't move anything, then some kind of processing may be the only option, unless you are prepared to sacrifice the bass.
*Very dense rockwool, over 100mm thick.
** An Accuphase DG-68, stupidly expensive, but does all the measuring and processing automatically. https://www.stereophile.com/content/accuphase-dg-68-digital-voicing-equalizer

Before doing anything really major, I would try Isoacoustic Gaias under your speakers. I and many others have found them to make a big difference in cleaning up bass, esp if the floor is wood.

I had a very significant issue with room boom with my Proac DT8s which were otherwise fantastic speakers

I eventually got around most of the issue by placing the spiked speakers on bamboo IKEA chopping boards under which I glued sorbothane hemispheres. This cost me less than £25 per speaker. I then placed small strips of inverted carpet under the spheres so that I could slide the speakers into the room when the other half was out. This led to a massive improvement.

I now have speakers much more suited to the room as they roll off significantly below 50Hz however the bass is so fast and punchy I don't notice the lack of the lowest bass and the speakers are ok close to the front wall with some bass reinforcement at the expense of some loss of imaging.

I am currently listening to London Grammar's How does it feel and the bass is fantastic imho and I couldn't be happier.

My new speakers are ATC SCM 20s which are not cheap. The ATC SCM19s are 95% as good, much more reasonably priced and great value second hand. The ATC 6 year warranty is also transferrable.

The only caveat is that ATCs expose poor recordings in a rather unflattering way as they are so accurate.

Hope you get your issue sorted as I know what a pain it can be. Good luck.

Why not try a set of AUVA speaker isolators from Stack Audio.
i have a set of AUVA 50’s beneath the stands on my Harbeth HL5 plus speakers.
They sit on a concrete floor which helps significantly of course.
Any vibration felt through the floor has dropped significantly and I feel they would be even more effective on a wooden floor. Available in three different sizes depending upon the weight of your speakers. Also they offer a 30 day return for your money back if you choose not to keep them. Certainly worth a look..

Assuming there isn't a fundamental problem with the speakers, its speaker and seating location the room itself (dimensional Sizing) if it's not the dimensions of the room then it could be structural resonances. If you have REW this is easy to invetsigate......

What dimensions are your room (L,W,H) and speaker, seating position ?

advertisement

Back