advertisement

Basic streaming setup?

Actually, Gary, so feasibly via xbmc I can get flac support and by installing firefly on my qnap I could stream direct to the atv? Are you aware of anyone who has actually done this? It's all seeming rather appealing...

I am trying to get Humax to allow it's box to see .flac files on my server so i can use xbmc to transcode them to wav direct to my audio visual system.

I don't really need that facility, but it would be nice....

xbmc is a bit unfortunate in the UK as it reminds me of ex british motor corporation. Not a success.

Lots of acronyms going over my head, but I seem to have some options:

1) Apple Airport Express, which connects wirelessly to my laptop and plays via Itunes. Looking at Amazon reviews, setup on PCs seems to be a bit unreliable and inconsistent though.

2) Squeezebox (lots of different types available?) - not sure what sort of software this uses, or how it's controlled.

Is there a squeezebox type that can be fed wirelessly and controlled from a PC? Or is it possible to find a model which has a snazzy remote (like the Duet?) which connects permanently to an external hard drive via USB (so no operating system save whatever's on the handset, and no connection to my laptop)?

Apologies for basic questions, but I'd hate to end up buying something which doesn't do what I want and isn't much use!

Having looked at the Unitiqute..nice bit of kit, but a lot of money.. Have just settled for AE into Arcam dac into Nait 5i. All my files are on a HD, run off the Airbook. Works a treat and only had to buy the dac..
It works for me, sounds fine and bloody site cheaper than jumping ship from the kit most of us already have..

2) Squeezebox (lots of different types available?) - not sure what sort of software this uses, or how it's controlled.

Is there a squeezebox type that can be fed wirelessly and controlled from a PC? Or is it possible to find a model which has a snazzy remote (like the Duet?) which connects permanently to an external hard drive via USB (so no operating system save whatever's on the handset, and no connection to my laptop)?

Apologies for basic questions, but I'd hate to end up buying something which doesn't do what I want and isn't much use!

All the Squeezeboxes can be remote controlled from a PC via a web browser, I tend to use my iPod ( using the iPeng app ) or a web browser on my netbook.

As for software, you will need to install the Squeezecenter software on the machine with the music stored on it. I've done this on my mac, PC and girlfriend's laptop and its been problem free, a nice thing about having it installed on her laptop and my PC is either of us can stream our music to the HiFi just by selecting which source to stream from.

Audio quality wise I've tended to use the Squeezebox with a DAC ( Beresford then Dac Magic and now LAvry DA10 ).

The Squeezebox Touch can be directly connected to a usb drive if needed.

Right - so I'd need the Squeezecentre software installed on the laptop, and would rip music into it. I can then connect wirelessly to the Squeezebox. The Squeezebox is connected into the back of the hifi, and music appears as if by magic. I could put a better DAC between SB and amp, but it's not necessary?

Couple of questions:

1) My laptop sees nearby wireless networks, but does that mean I can create a home wireless network without a special router?
2) Presumably I would also get access to internet radio stations, Spotify etc.?
3)If I'm happy to do all control from my laptop (either browser or SB software), what's the cheapest SB model that does what I need? I guess I wouldn't need the Duet with it's fancy remote?

Help me understand this arrangement please, as I've just got PC going to a DAC. What does the "Squeezebox" in the middle do? (I could google it and read some marketing blurb, but PFMers are much better at explaining the real "listen to music" benefits)

Right - so I'd need the Squeezecentre software installed on the laptop, and would rip music into it.

You rip the music with whatever software you want, the squeezecenter software just needs to be pointed at the directory you have stored the music and it catalogs the music from there. I rip my music in FLAC using CDex, my girlfriend rips using iTunes to apple lossless.

ITunes to Apple lossless is easy (I'm already managing that for an old Ipod nano).

Linds - from what I can tell the SB connects wirelessly to your computer, and takes music from on there or on the internet to your hifi. The internal DAC is presumably pretty cheap, so better ones can be used.

What I'm not so clear on is whether I need a router to set up the wireless network in the first place (the Logitech website seems to imagine that everyone's house already has one), and which is the most appropriate product for my situation (happy to control the SB from the laptop, don't need any colour screens or remotes for the box itself).

You do need a wireless (or wired) network for the Squeezebox Classic, or the Squeezebox Duet to join. But if you use a Squeezebox Touch, this can as well be driven straight from a USB drive, so you don't need a network or even a pc with the Touch.

Have you not got a wireless network?

That depends - can I use my laptop to create a network, or do I need a router?

Are you saying that the Touch can connect to a USB external hard drive? And how easy is it to control via the remote? A bit fiddly, or perfectly workable?

strangely i've tried to connect my touch with external HD this evening (WD passport) for the first time and it didn't recognize it. i'm wondering what i did wrong?

Some of these manufacturers ought to be shot for not providing the clear options in layman's terms - that's what marketing is supposed to be about. I remember trying to discover an equipment layout for setting up a Linn DS some time ago, just being curious of what was required. At the time, it would have been easier finding a 3D interactive map of the insides of the pyramids.

I've been to a couple of bake-offs where a laptop has been connected to a DAC and then to an amplifier. They've sounded fine.

There was one where the perfectly fine sounding DAC had been given to the host for free. We played it through the hosts £30 amp into my £500 speakers for laughably good sound for the price.

Surley all the OP needs is a free piece of software to organise his music files on his laptop and a DAC?

I have Itunes, which presumably can be made to speak to a USB DAC? All I lose out on is the wireless capability - which would be nice, but is far from essential if the alternative is much cheaper and simpler.

Which USB DACs exist which are decent and affordable? Say up to £200; s/h would be OK too.

Fingers crossed that a wired DAC doesn't spark off a debate about whether the quality of USB cable used makes a difference to the output quality...

I have Itunes, which presumably can be made to speak to a USB DAC?

If you already use iTunes then it's a no-brainer to connect an Apple Airport Express to your amp, and send music from your laptop. Cost £70, and great to control music from your sofa with your CD-ripping device.

Which USB DACs exist which are decent and affordable? Say up to £200; s/h would be OK too.

Fingers crossed that a wired DAC doesn't spark off a debate about whether the quality of USB cable used makes a difference to the output quality...

Wiring laptop to amp is fine, as is wiring laptop to DAC. A lot of laptops (and Airport Express) have an optical output so that if you have a separate DAC you get a better quality than either analogue line or USB. USB is only recommended if you have a low-jitter gadget like a Hiface. To my mind, if you're going to bother with a separate DAC, then you may as well use optical or coaxial rather than USB.

I have an Airport Express linked to a DACMagic by an optical cable. It works beautifully and as was said above, provides a preposterous level of convenience and quality for the money. Don't forget that the Airport Express can also connect via a network cable to a modem/router to provide wireless networking while attaching your hifi to your laptop. iTunes/AirportExpress/DACMagic is a very neat combo.

Actually, Gary, so feasibly via xbmc I can get flac support and by installing firefly on my qnap I could stream direct to the atv? Are you aware of anyone who has actually done this? It's all seeming rather appealing...

Yup, infact there is a whole forum of them:

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137

A number of things to consider first none of which are insurmountable:

1. You need to jail break the ATV2
2. You can install XBMC from the GUI of the jailbroken ATV2 so that should be easy
3. You point XBMC at where your music is. (Does not need to be in itunes)
4. Scan this folder to library.
5. You are set.

XBMC provided the flacs are well tagged will pick up nice artwork etc for your music, giving you a tidy interface, you control this with the remote control or an iPod.

XBMC is a little geeky and requires a little time to get used to, after that it pisses all over anything apple have to offer, especially on the video side of things.

advertisement

Back