advertisement

Bare Copper vs Silver Plated vs Gold vs Rhodium

The reason I ask is that MCRU sell Furutech IEC connectors is a range of grades & plating options... at a range of prices :)
That's so that if someone asks how much for a power connector, they can answer with "how much have you got?"

The reason I ask is that MCRU sell Furutech IEC connectors is a range of grades & plating options... at a range of prices :)

https://www.mcru.co.uk/?s=furutech+iec&post_type=product&product_cat=0

You could take 4 old cables from lawnmowers that have been repaired several times with tape and connect them together using old crappy extension blocks and it would still make precisely zero difference as NO mains cable under any circumstances can make any difference whatsoever. EVERYTHING you read in hi fi mags, on forums and are told by dealers about mains cable is 100% bollox! I hardly think the plating even comes into it...

Sounds to me like there is some agreemnt on Rhodium, mainly due to the lack of surface oxidation.

Jez, Did you not accept a while ago that shielding of mains cables against RF was worthwhile? Given that the correct length for an FM aerial is about 1m

...Although the addition of a small MKP cap just inside the IEC should remove any VHF

Sounds to me like there is some agreemnt on Rhodium, mainly due to the lack of surface oxidation.

Jez, Did you not accept a while ago that shielding of mains cables against RF was worthwhile? Given that the correct length for an FM aerial is about 1m

...Although the addition of a small MKP cap just inside the IEC should remove any VHF

Nope. I repeat that mains cables make no difference at all under any circumstances. Fitting a filtered IEC inlet may help if RF is an issue though.

That's beneficial in some applications. AC power connectors is not one of them. The combination of contact pressure, voltage, and current means just about any metal will work.

A 2" or so ferrite toroid with several turns of the mains cable wound on it is a very effective RF interference killer BTW. It should be as close as practical to the point where the mains cable enters the casework or at the IEC plug end of the cable. Yes you have to chop the mains plug off if it is the usual moulded on type and then fit a new one after winding the toroid.

They can do far worse than that and can act as very crude rectifiers = mixers, and generate all sorts of spurious output.
Thin layers of silver sulfide are a common problem. The RF voltage ( ~50 Vrms) causes quantum tunneling and the result is significant levels of white noise appearing on the signal.
Silver is an awkward material to use, contacts have to be clean and gas tight.

Talking of a load of 100% bollox! ...

You could take 4 old cables from lawnmowers that have been repaired several times with tape and connect them together using old crappy extension blocks and it would still make precisely zero difference as NO mains cable under any circumstances can make any difference whatsoever. EVERYTHING you read in hi fi mags, on forums and are told by dealers about mains cable is 100% bollox! I hardly think the plating even comes into it...

I've done blind A/B tests, I've even enlisted the help of a music loving, non hifi friend when I'm unsure if I'm hearing things. On one occasion this was to compare a standard mains lead with another EXACTLY the same except that the cores had been plaited (kimber style) She had no idea what was being changed & in fact her comment was "I don't know what you've done but that's definitely different... but I'm not sure if its better"

But I can see you've got a firmly help view & so nothing I or anyone else can say will change your mind. I'm astounded that you can't (don't want to) hear the difference between a "crappy old extension block" & one made with good quality cable & switch-less sockets... but your view must be saving you a fortune - lucky you ;)

Talking of a load of 100% bollox! ...

I've done blind A/B tests, I've even enlisted the help of a music loving, non hifi friend when I'm unsure if I'm hearing things. On one occasion this was to compare a standard mains lead with another EXACTLY the same except that the cores had been plaited (kimber style) She had no idea what was being changed & in fact her comment was "I don't know what you've done but that's definitely different... but I'm not sure if its better"

But I can see you've got a firmly help view & so nothing I or anyone else can say will change your mind. I'm astounded that you can't (don't want to) hear the difference between a "crappy old extension block" & one made with good quality cable & switch-less sockets... but your view must be saving you a fortune - lucky you ;)

It is impossible for a mains cable to effect the sound. Everything people report about them is imagined. Any knowledge of electronics would show how ridiculous such a belief actually is ie as silly as believing the earth is flat or that santa claus really exists and laps the world in a magic sledge.

It is impossible for a mains cable to effect the sound. Everything people report about them is imagined. Any knowledge of electronics would show how ridiculous such a belief actually is ie as silly as believing the earth is flat or that santa claus really exists and laps the world in a magic sledge.

And I'm sure any knowledge of electronics would show that two amplifiers that measure the same - sound the same

Anyway I'm glad you're happy in your belief... & I'm happy in mine

And I'm sure any knowledge of electronics would show that two amplifiers that measure the same - sound the same

Anyway I'm glad you're happy in your belief... & I'm happy in mine

Very much not in fact.

This is nothing to do with beliefs... science doesn't work like that. it is not possible to hold opinions on this matter. Either you agree with the laws of physics or you're wrong. Try jumping off a high building and see what gravity thinks of what you "believe" about it. This is no different.

Unfortunately you can't see electricity and to many non technical people it's apparently not very intuitive... anyone can see how stupid an idea a square wheel would be but bizarrely when it comes to electricity those who have no knowledge on the subject think they can make up the most fantastic scenarios. Hence we get people believing that 5G is responsible for Coronavirus. Mains cables changing sound quality is just as "out there" and just as wrong.

advertisement

Back