advertisement

Barbers, shock horror my barnet is going.

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
Usual cut is no.3 on top, 2 on the sides. Could not believe I have gone from a beautiful blonde to a mousy grey and looking very thin on top.
What next time, 4 on top, 2 on sides or a comb over if leaving it long, or shave the lot off.
Any sensible, ahem, suggestions appreciated.

In a similar position, and have been for more than a few years, so have resorted to number 3 all over. Although right now I am reduced (!) to number 1 all over due to the fact that I took out my trimmer and noticed that it was scratched and slightly bent. What I did not notice was that the number 3 guide had fallen on the floor so I took a chunk out of the left side of my head. After a Columbo style of questioning my 4 year old Granddaughter told me that her big brother chased her with it while threatening to shave her head.

No.1 all over, that’s what I do with my own clippers. It looks a little aggressive for about a week and then becomes the perfect length (for a short while). My hair grows so quickly there’s little point going with a No.2, I’d be cutting it every fortnight otherwise.

No.1 all over, that’s what I do with my own clippers. It looks a little aggressive for about a week and then becomes the perfect length (for a short while). My hair grows so quickly there’s little point going with a No.2, I’d be cutting it every fortnight otherwise.
Possible option, but if left with patches it will all go.

If I cut mine very short it's obviously grey and starting to thin. A little longer, it looks less grey and thicker. There's a happy medium without going Bobby Charlton. This situation may evolve but the initial receding hairline around 30 stopped and the grey first started mid 40s and hasn't accelerated too much, other than my beard which is now definitely badger striped.

Mine started receding years ago, it’s not worth worrying about if you ask me.
No taking shampoo into the shower a quick rub with the towel and it’s dry no combing no getting in your eyes.

I do mine my self clippers with no comb lasts about a month.

Pete

Mine started receding years ago, it’s not worth worrying about if you ask me.
No taking shampoo into the shower a quick rub with the towel and it’s dry no combing no getting in your eyes.

I do mine my self clippers with no comb lasts about a month.

Pete
same here, but there are some cons... head gets cold (possibly imagined phenomenon) and I seem to have more dandruff, or is it just escaping more easily... for me anyway

same here, but there are some cons... head gets cold (possibly imagined phenomenon) and I seem to have more dandruff, or is it just escaping more easily... for me anyway
Yes cold head or sunburn are the only drawbacks but a hat solves both problems.

Pete

Hair serves a very useful function, even if you only have a little of it. It wicks heat and sweat away from the scalp.

I shaved my head for my 50th birthday, and my head was constantly clammy. I had to wear a hat to protect myself from the sun. And it took daily maintenance, always with the risk of lacerating myself.

Unless you're a weight lifter, the shaved head look is done. At least a little layer of insulation is far easier to live with.

Last edited:
I just do a number 1 all over most weeks. Occasionally I let it grow, and then I think I look older. Makes having a selection of hats more imperative. I currently have four or five I use as appropriate. A couple of bucket hats, some nice baseball caps, and a warm beanie for winter.

I am lucky, I have as much hair as Elvis Presley at 75 years of age. It grows like the clappers.

advertisement

Back