advertisement

Barbados - Specific Pointers Please

The snorkelling I do like, I am not a strong swimmer but can manage a snorkel.
We were very lucky to have turtles in the sea at the hotel beach, and saw a load of baby turtles hatch on/in the beach. Doubt whether that will happen this time , but I am looking forward to warm sea.
Wow, we went to St Lucia, my wife’s cousin lives there. This was 20 years ago. The public beaches could be a little problematic due to semi aggressive peddlers trying to sell you tat.

Wow, we went to St Lucia, my wife’s cousin lives there. This was 20 years ago. The public beaches could be a little problematic due to semi aggressive peddlers trying to sell you tat.

I like St. Lucia, only been once but it was memorable.
We did a helicopter flight around the island, flying around the Pitons, absolutely crapped my pants, but it was stunning.
Also the roads from airport to hotel near Pigeon Point were interesting/scary/non-existent.
I do remember the bar at our hotel ran out of lemons…

We did a helicopter flight around the island, flying around the Pitons, absolutely crapped my pants, but it was stunning.
Also the roads from airport to hotel near Pigeon Point were interesting/scary/non-existent.
At the time some bits were very undeveloped. I remember a guy who used to stand at the side of the road & if you gave him a few dollars he would climb a tree & get you a coconut.

Very, very jealous. I did really enjoy a spot of snorkelling on my only visit to the Caribbean.
No but I know exactly where it is so will try to find it on the map and I will ask my mate if he can recall it. Fabulous Argie steak.

EDIT Spoke to my mate and he couldn't recall the name either but it was on the corner, opposite the church. Past /Fire & Soul, which is a Bajan restaurant.

Love St Lucas too but we should have taken notice of the warning...'whatever you do, don't go past the sound system on /friday street party night'......we did and soon went into reverse gear. Evil looking guys selling drugs.

Love St Lucas too but we should have taken notice of the warning...'whatever you do, don't go past the sound system on /friday street party night'......we did and soon went into reverse gear. Evil looking guys selling drugs.

We went to the Friday Fish party at St. Lucia and it wasn’t as comfortable a scene as the Barbados Ostins fish fry. Completely different feel - the Ostins /Barbados was great fun and felt non-threatening. Better sound systems as well. Something about the environment being more open at Ostins I thought. We felt closed in at the St. Lucia equivalent.

Saying that, the first time we went to Barbados, I was offered drugs on the beach, middle of the day within an hour of our arriving. Not happened since though. I stick with the beer and plenty of rum.

We went to the Friday Fish party at St. Lucia and it wasn’t as comfortable a scene as the Barbados Ostins fish fry. Completely different feel - the Ostins /Barbados was great fun and felt non-threatening. Better sound systems as well. Something about the environment being more open at Ostins I thought. We felt closed in at the St. Lucia equivalent.

Saying that, the first time we went to Barbados, I was offered drugs on the beach, middle of the day within an hour of our arriving. Not happened since though. I stick with the beer and plenty of rum.
We went to what was called a ‘Jump Up’, it was set up by the local in their neighbourhood, holiday reps did organised trips.

We had local knowledge on our side but it did feel edgy, I don’t think we stayed long.

Fortuitous posting.
Were off in February next year for 10 days, staying close to Ostins fish fry. First time for us. So recommendations would be very welcome..

You're going to the wrong place, we usually only have to wait a few minutes for drugs in Brixton.

Barbados was good, definitely worth hiring a car to explore the island on any overcast days. Dangerous swimming on most of the east coast but went over for lunch and the view was spectacular.

St Lucia tended to be a bit of a rip off, Hotel Chocolat looked good but was full. The beach west of the Pitons was pleasant, we shared a burger and i had the most expensive thimble full of Pulenta ever. They wanted $40 for use of sunbeds so we went up to the paupers end and they were free!

St Lucia tended to be a bit of a rip off, Hotel Chocolat looked good but was full.

St. Lucia
it was over a decade ago, and has changed ownership since we went, but it is now the Soco House hotel, Rodney Bay that we stayed at.
The location was very good and when we stayed there were only about 4 guests in total as it had just been refurbished.

advertisement

Back