advertisement

Barbados - Specific Pointers Please

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
We are off to Barbados and I am looking for recommendations for places of interest and stuff to do.

We have been a couple of times before. Stopping on the South coast, St. Lawrence Gap.

Previously we have been to -

Oistins fish fry - excellent, loved the fish shed were the Oldies were dancing to ‘Slows.’ Decent loud system/s.

Catamaran and regular boat trips - lots of rum, food and jolly. Wife likes these things.

Ted’s Tours - what a hoot. Good to see the East coast. He is funny. Again, rum, rum, then more rum. We will probably do this again, he does say that “you’ll be back…”

Bridgetown - not explored much, see below. has potential

St. Lawrence Gap - great fun, lots of restaurants, know it well.

The main thing is now my mobility is not so good, I would love to wander around Bridgetown, but my legs cannae take it Captain…

I would be interested in a well stocked record shop, fresh fish restaurants, specific tours - Wife likes museums…. and art stuff.
What it cannot be is a load of walking, masses of steps (I can manage a few) or anything to do with cricket. No long periods of standing (I will have 2 elbow crutches, but even with those, standing still hurts my leg quite quickly.

We are going for 10 days I think, so a bit of time to do something.

No wind-surfing :( - them days are gone.

Of course, I will be just laying in the sun, listening to the sea and turning down all the offers of various recreational drugs.

I will drink Banks beer and rum.
I will eat flying-fish and chips.

Been to Barbados 3 times. Love the place but never found a record shop let alone a well stocked one :(. Enjoy the food, chill & soak up some sun. Hire a car and tour round the Island?

There used to be a little fish shack on the beach at the bottom of Christ's Church Rd./hill. I found it fascinating to watch the ladies drag the biggest barracudas by the tail, across the floor and onto the fish cleaning table, all the while telling this milky white tourist how they don't mind a bit of milky white tourist now and again.

Second the suggestion to hire a car. Way back when I was there it was the real deal Mini Moke.

3R6MBBNCLY7WHX3MOQS56OBNPE.jpg

Bathsheba is beautiful for natural beauty. Waves are often really big and nice just to watch them roll in, often with surfers! Also in that vacinity is the Animal Flower Caves. If memory serves they don't take a great deal of walking to see so could be on the list for you. The Boathouse in Bridgetown used to be one of my favourite fish places but could be long gone. Enjoy!

Bathsheba is beautiful for natural beauty. Waves are often really big and nice just to watch them roll in, often with surfers! Also in that vacinity is the Animal Flower Caves. If memory serves they don't take a great deal of walking to see so could be on the list for you. The Boathouse in Bridgetown used to be one of my favourite fish places but could be long gone. Enjoy!
wow is there a place called bathsheba , named after king david wife no doubt

We have been to Bathsheba beach and seen that huge rock, part of the Ted’s Tours trip. That East side of the island has a completely different feel to rest of it. We are expecting to go there.
The waves are definitely larger on the East coast, wish I could use them!
Will look up the Animal Flower caves. thanks.

I will talk to The Wife about hiring a car. Wife likes to navigate with maps in that kind of situation, so it would be an excuse to get a decent map of the island. We like maps.

I love the mokes, but might want some air-conditioning!

We are off to Barbados again soon.

Any updates on trips/recommendations and to eat at St. Lawrence Gap area welcomed.

Bridgetown has potential.

We have done loads of different boat trips, so unless it is something different with not many folks I ain’t bothered.

- looking forward to flying fish & chips and Banks beers so far .

There used to be a little fish shack on the beach at the bottom of Christ's Church Rd./hill. I found it fascinating to watch the ladies drag the biggest barracudas by the tail, across the floor and onto the fish cleaning table, all the while telling this milky white tourist how they don't mind a bit of milky white tourist now and again.

Second the suggestion to hire a car. Way back when I was there it was the real deal Mini Moke.

3R6MBBNCLY7WHX3MOQS56OBNPE.jpg
Which one of those two is you Craig?

Submarine trip from Bridgetown
Local cabbie to take you around the island
Golf at Sandy Lane (use your elbow crutch maybe?) Only joking
Argentinian restaurant at St Lawrence Gap

Submarine trip from Bridgetown
Local cabbie to take you around the island
Golf at Sandy Lane (use your elbow crutch maybe?) Only joking
Argentinian restaurant at St Lawrence Gap

Can you recall the name of the Argentinian restaurant at the Gap?

Mimosas?

Very, very jealous. I did really enjoy a spot of snorkelling on my only visit to the Caribbean.

The snorkelling I do like, I am not a strong swimmer but can manage a snorkel.
We were very lucky to have turtles in the sea at the hotel beach, and saw a load of baby turtles hatch on/in the beach. Doubt whether that will happen this time , but I am looking forward to warm sea.

advertisement

Back