advertisement

Bands that used film sound tracks

busb

Mine's a pint of beer please
Can anyone recall bands before Big Audio Dynamite using film sound tracks, usually speech?

Both Mudhoney and Primal Screen have used the "we're gonna get loaded" speech from Easy Rider. Not before BAD though.

The Chameleons' - Don't Fall
Colourbox - Looks Like We're Shy One Horse
New Order - Murder

Lots of TV and Film samples scattered about on these. Sometimes speech often music. I can even hear early 'hauntology' in Lepke B's Gus Coma from 1983.

L.Voag – The Way Out and single '79
Narki Brillans – Goes Into Orbo... '81
Milk From Cheltenham – Tryptich Of Poisoners '83
Gus Coma – Color Him Coma '83
Modern Shit – Will Make You Ill '8?

Unable to think of any pre B.A.D. - I do like Depth Charge 'Nine Deadly Venoms' or many tracks by Eon like 'Fear Is The Mindkiller' - 'Spice' (same dude I reckon ? Saul Kane ?)

Be Bop Deluxe had a snippet of John Peel on Modern Music, Peel said "Touches of tumble over there..." having just played a track called "Loose Goose" by a band whose name I dont remember.

Both Mudhoney and Primal Screen have used the "we're gonna get loaded" speech from Easy Rider. Not before BAD though.
It's not from Easy Rider, it's from Roger Corman's Wild Angels, about 3 years earlier. Featuring Peter Fonda and Bruce Dern, it was Co-written and co-directed by Peter Bogdanovich and, coincidentally, boasted one of the best soundtracks ever, in Davie Allen and the Arrows surf guitar masterclass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Various tracks on Happy Mondays 1988 album "Bummed" nick bits of dialogue from the classic Mick Jagger film "Performance".

Spirit's "Future Games" has loads of film and tv snippets inbetween and segued into the tracks...

R-1783767-1255124383.jpeg.jpg

Colourbox - Just Give 'Em Whisky (Westworld) - 1985
Cabaret Voltaire - Yashar (The Outer Limits - tv not film, admittedly) - 1983

Orbital - loads of TV and Film samples on the first two albums. Planet of the Apes, Zardos, Star Trek TNG off the top of my head. Some others as well.

Ironically they later went on to produce tracks that are well known as being part of film soundtracks.

advertisement

Back