advertisement

Bands that go off-piste with genre

Mr.Nic

pfm Member
I'm looking for examples of bands that produce one off odd tracks that you wouldn't expect.

You can discount any dodgy cover versions or bands that change their entire musical direction (I'm looking at you Primal Scream). I'm just interested in tracks that seem to come from nowhere and sound nothing like you'd expect that group to produce.

For example, here are two of the most Goth like records from very much non-Goth bands:

I'm aware this may be a very short thread...

For example, here are two of the most Goth like records from very much non-Goth bands:

AIUI, that was David Byrne trying to make a record that sounded like Joy Division even though he'd never heard them so based it on a description.

I was going to link 'Blue Turk' by Alice Cooper, but they were so stylistically fecund, I'm not sure it's out of character.

Got to be The Cranberries - Zombie.

From "la-de-dah what a bastard you are, you liar, but I still want to shag you" to "In your head it's still 1916, in your head, in your head, they're still dying"

Pretty powerful song about Northern Ireland as was. Lots of heavy riffing.

I always thought Miss You by the Stones was way off anything else from their catalogue that I am familiar with. It seems like a tip of the hat to the disco sound from the time. First time I heard NIN play Hurt I thought it was slightly off piste.

What springs to mind is the Christmas album Dylan released a few years back. Holy moly.

advertisement

Back