advertisement

Bamboo shelves

FC united

pfm Member
I have recently purchased a second hand Atacama Evoque stand. I have been after one of these at the right price for me for ages.
Problem is I'm noticing that a powdery white mould has started appearing on the shelves. I have never had a problem with mould in my room before i installed this rack.
Anyone else have anything like this on their Bamboo? If so what did you do about it?
Thanks in advance

A quick google

Room too shady and/or humid ?

I had a couple of Atacama bamboo add on shelves for my Equinox rack (now sold on) and now have bamboo shelved Quadraspire - never had mildew problems with either.
Could well be a problem coming from their previous home.

In my humid garage, yes. In my home, no. It would be worth getting a cheap humidistat or two if you don't have one to see if it needs more ventilation or a dehumidifier. Bamboo gets much more mouldy in my garage than any other wood based materials, so it is more susceptible.

A quick google

Room too shady and/or humid ?
Thanks for the link on how to treat this problem.
My room is mostly shady as i tend to close the curtains on the patio doors so no SHADY people can see in.

I had a couple of Atacama bamboo add on shelves for my Equinox rack (now sold on) and now have bamboo shelved Quadraspire - never had mildew problems with either.
Could well be a problem coming from their previous home.
Yes i thought that at first, i bought it from a guy who lived in a very old cottage which did smell a bit musty.

The ' How to clean mildew on bamboo ' showed a photo of raw unfinished bamboo ( from a screen ? ) . Engineered spray finished bamboo is a very different material . Having said that any item of wooden furniture is susceptible to mildew particularly if it has come from a poorly ventilated damp musty cottage . Hi Fi systems do tend to live in dark corners .

Is there any sign of rust on the metal work ?
If so , I would lean towards the issue being with the previous owners home .
My guess and it's only a guess is that the previous owner cleaned it , to sell and trapped moisture is still escaping from the shelfs .

Was is shipped to you ?
Courier vans and distribution sheds are unheated and condensation can form under those conditions in a well packed sealed box , I used to work in pharma distribution . Condensation during shipment was a huge problem .
Plastic wrapped wood flooring is best opened and left for several days in the room you intend to use it before cutting .

Clean it again , let it air , and drop a line to Atacama , ask them for advice

If you collected it ,and as you say the cottage was musty it suggests you did . Were the shelfs left in your car overnight ?
I once left a VCR, remember them , in the boot of a car overnight . It didn't work for several days and then suddenly sprang into life .

advertisement

Back