advertisement

Balanced preamp

Depends on what's "affordable". I will shortly be selling my my Ayre K-5 xe MP and can very much recommend it.

I've been very impressed with the Eastern Electric Avant Reference balanced valve preamp. Very, very good for the money.

Budget is limited but not fixed, anything below £1K or better yet half of that if possible, OTOH flexible if the "right" choice pops up

Whats the most obviously purchase out there?, neutral and reliability is high priority, not sure any interest in valve or any flavour of the month chinese manufactured, remote control is not important
Anything interesting preferred from the 80'ies or 90'ies vintage ?

On last Hi-Fi choice number there was a review of Parasound P5 pre-amplifier, selling new for 999£.
Probably not "hi-end", but it seems quite interesting indeed and for sure "complete", given its 5 line inputs, digital inputs (coaxial, optical, usb), MM/MC phono stage,1 XLR balanced input, 1 XLR balanced output, 2 subwoofer output, line output....

My choice would be the Music First Classic preamp (passive autotransformer). Current retail is £1700 in the UK.

My choice would be the Music First Classic preamp (passive autotransformer). Current retail is £1700 in the UK.

If you can get one of these s/h then snap it up. Fantastic bit of kit.

It's got no circuits that can fail, so should be pretty reliable. I've got one with the mk.ii transformers and it's a keeper, very very neutral and great dynamics.

Does he need a phono input? If he does then an EAR 864 is a stunning pre-amp. Utterly superb MM and MC phono, a raft of inputs and a balanced input. Seen them go for around £1000 for an old one, build quality superb and very reliable.

the bel canto pre 3 is also very good , just below a mfa classic mark one in performance and the vbs version is even better and not far off the mfa classic mark 2 performance

Does he need a phono input? If he does then an EAR 864 is a stunning pre-amp. Utterly superb MM and MC phono, a raft of inputs and a balanced input. Seen them go for around £1000 for an old one, build quality superb and very reliable.

He allready have a separate phonostage

Is that eqvivalent to the older 502 ?

Yes - Meridian claim the G series is a development of and improvement on the 5 series equivalents. I have just sold my G02 here and you should be able to get one in very good condition for around £700 plus. The G56 and G57 are the matching balanced power amps.

advertisement

Back