advertisement

Bach: Suites for unaccompanied cello

The Starker on Mercury/Speakers Corner was recorded in December 1965, released 1966 - sounds like we do have at least two different recordings here.

For what it's worth, I think passing over good performances because of recording quality is a little foolish..

I know. Colour me shallow. I am now playing the Casals CD above on my study micro system as I type to see if it is as I remember. So far - yes!

I have the Casals set on Pearl cd (which may differ in presentation from Naxos) and vinyl from the 50's - the Pearl isn't bad but the vinyl is better!

On R3 right now:

Bach: Suite for cello solo No 3, BWV 1009, in C - Korean cellist Han-Na Chang

"It is worth noting that (I believe) at the time of the Casals recordings, these works were not part of the 'mainstream' repertoire; indeed, it was in large part his recording and championing of them that has led to their current prominence. It is, therefore, unsurprising that they sound the way you describe them"

That's right, before Casals the Cello Suites were looked upon as "unimportant works, too dry and academic.

"On R3 right now:"

Anyone else listening?

I thought she was a little heavy handed in the Bach.

I first discovered these suites through recordings on Phillips by Maurice Gedron which are still available mid price. Less percussive playing than some but I still find them wonderfully emotive and discretely recorded: how close do they need to get to the performer? I've rarely heard the rustle of tweed from 12 rows back at a live performance. I also have the Rostropovich, Casals and Bylsma recordings - the Bylsma on RCA, I think there are two versions.

Kevin

athos_uk said:
There's a Boult recording of Schubert's 9th dating from around 1933 that would take some beating in this regard (also Furtwangler's 2nd and 8th on the EMI set of his Beethoven symphonies).

regards, Tam

Also,

Enrico Caruso
Beniamino Gigli
Tito Schipa
Richard Tauber
Leo Slezak
Joseph Schmidt
Jan Schmidt-Garre

To naim(!) but a few. Didn't realise you posted here.

Thanks, chaps.

OK, one nod for Anner Bylsma, two point five for Starker, one for Wispelwey, one for Rostropovich, one for Yo' mama, three for Casals, one for Fournier, one for Tortelier, and a synchronicity vote for Han-Na Chang.

Time to put the names into a hat and pull out the lucky winner. ;-)

Joe

I've got the Schiff version. I like it, but I haven't heard any others, nor do I know what to look out for.

I chose it because it has a nice cover.

Jonathan Ribee said:
The Starker on Mercury/Speakers Corner was recorded in December 1965, released 1966 - sounds like we do have at least two different recordings here.

I've just checked my Starker LP, which is on Saga, not Hungaroton, and it looks like it was recorded in 1963. I still don't like it, so I'm open to offers ....

Tantris said:
I've just checked my Starker LP, which is on Saga, not Hungaroton, and it looks like it was recorded in 1963. I still don't like it, so I'm open to offers ....

That's the one I have. To date, I've never seen the other two records or a complete box.

Basil

I also think the mono recording suits the suites a lot better than many of the stereo recordings I've heard, particularly Nikolaus Harnoncourt's reading, where the engineer has "spread" the sound so at times it seems there are two cellists playing, not good.

Playing the Starker '65 set via Quad ESL57s for the first time last night... same thing - lower notes seemed to have a central placement, the rest seemed to have no focus or position. Sounded very nice in mono.

Seemed OK on box 'speakers. It is possible that I have not yet mastered the art of ESL placement - but everything else I played last night had pinpoint soundstaging. I suspect that the dynamics have been artificially introduced and Mr Walkers marvels are showing up the artifice - looking up the recording engineers sleeves as it were.

Jonathan

Which Ma version is it that no one likes, 1990 or 1998 (or both)?

Anyone care for Mischa Maisky?

I enjoy all of the recordings of the suites I have (Casals, Mistoslav, Yo-Yo, etc.) and only seem to discriminate when I listen "side by side".

"Which Ma version is it that no one likes, 1990 or 1998 (or both)?"

The one I don't like is the 1990 recording. Ma appeared in an episode of "The West Wing" playing one of the suites (can't remember which one) and that sounded ok.

I have the '98 Ma. I wouldn't say that I don't like it. Just that it's highly technically competent but, when set next to the likes of Rostropovich or Schiff it seems to be lacking in heart. Almost something of a 'safe' interpretation.

regards, Tam

In the West Wing (season 2, episode 10 'Noel' - my god I'm sad) Ma plays the first movement from the 1st suite (the G major) - it's the episode in which Josh is counselled for post-traumatic stress. Actually - that episode was what first introduced me to the works..

regards, Tam

Bloody hell! That was fast! Thank you.

Regarding the Ma 1990, I seem to recall he adds lots of "Baroque trills" Perhaps my memory of that recording isn't that good, it must have been about '93 I heard it. Next time you listen I'd appreciate your thoughts.

P.S

It's nice to see The West Wing returning to something like its original form.

Is it - I'm afraid I gave up on it at the end of season 4 when Aaron Sorkin stopped writing it and it just wasn't the same.

Only quite so fast because I posted the first one at the same time as yours.

regards, Tam

Basil said:
It's nice to see The West Wing returning to something like its original form.

But sad to hear that, as it returns to its best, it's been cancelled.

Kevin

advertisement

Back