advertisement

B4 Buffer Preamp Group Buy round 2...

That's great everyone, I think that's all the questions answered then, still a little concerned about E505 but i'll soon find out I guess!

Thanks for the link Rich, I've learnt something which is the point to all of this after all.

Stefan

Would you mind posting the links for the data sheets Mike. I tried to find some to help Stefan but had no luck. I don't know who the manufacturer is.

thanks mudlark, i'll take a good look at this later. it's the round (with small flat) E505 i'm most unsure about though.

Stefan

ran out of time for today but i'll re-visit this tommorrow. I've had a quick look at them with the meter (even read the instructions that came with the meter!) between the data sheet for the 501, my measurements and the silk screen somethings different. I'll try and get to the bottom of it tomorrow. Anyone used the diodes from the BOM and powered up without any magic smoke? it'd be great to get advice from someone who's made it all work.

until tomorrow.

Stefan

Its very musical, its almost as if it doesnt add its own flavour to the sound, its just passing along what the CD/source presents.. You will find yourself listening to it for hours on end with a grin on your face :D

Sam

Heard someone say that it 'warms' up the sound. Unsure about this bit, I like my bass to be deep and taut!

Hmm, I wouldnt say it warms up the sound. . Switching input caps makes a noticible difference to the sound, perhaps it was the choice of these that was making a difference for the user in question.

Where are you based? May be someone local(ish) to you has a B4 and could visit you to let you have a listen to it in the context of your system.

Sam

I would describe the sound as clean. There is no hiss, more than enough volume for me 140 and KEfQ7s. There is more detail than a cyrus aca7, more life than a passive creek.

Based in Manchester, if anyone can demo?

I can take my amplifier to manchester one Wednesday lunchtime if you are interested. I would like to hear someone else's view of my efforts to make an amplifier. i may even be there tomorrow unless the feds lock me up. (See other post for long winded details)

my amplifier is truly superb and is remote controlled perfection. (only my view:D)

One also has avondale serviced 140 a standard 110 and the connections to go from RB4 to din. I also have a 32.5 and some nj boards which are similar in spec to neil's boards, but half the gain. a hicap, a self build teddycap 2 and a partridge in a pear tree.

i prefer my B4 to the nap32.5 or with the nj boards.

I am in the far north west, but travel to manchester once a week. i could pop in , but it would be during the day.

MY B4 sounds better and has replaced my Audio Research LS3 pre amp.
It has the transparency of my old passive pre amp but it does not suffer the roll off at the frequency extremes. its fast and clean and has enough gain for my NCC200 power amps x 2.
As others have said you can tailor the sound by swapping the input and output cap (mind you it will drive you mad in the process)
I am using a Russian Polystyrene on the input and a Mil spec wet tant on the output sounds great to me.
If you want the hard fast sound of the old NAIMs then use solid tants, easy and cheap!!, wet tants are soooooo much more refined though.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh290/337alant/B4mar2011.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh290/337alant/sysjan11.jpg
Alan

Just got home after another work trip away and this pre amp is getting better and better, now very uncoloured, I am gob smacked, there isnt any going back to a commercial pre amp now, this is the best of a passive / aktive pre amp Ive heard ;)
Alan

advertisement

Back