advertisement

B&W vs Harbeth or any others?

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi all,

I have been researching various different speakers over the past couple of months and I am now ready to start auditioning and hopefully make a purchase.

The two which have me most interested are b&w 705 s2 and harbeth c7es-3, I appreciate both will be very different. From what I understand the b&ws are very good value and offer a lot of the 805d3 for less than half the price, so very dynamic, strong bass but maybe need a bit of volume to come alive. Whilst the harbeths excel in the mid range, vocals etc, very good at low volumes but hit the wall quickly and bass is less well defined.

Has anyone compared or can comment please?

I am auditioning both in two weeks time.

My current electronics are rega elex r, planar 3 with exact and Neo PSU, rega dac r.

Thanks

Your description of both speakers is bang on and your amplifier will be powerful enough for either speakers unless you have a very large listening room.
The Harbeth is more transparent and natural but the BW will be more convincing on rock music with bass drum and electric bass so it’s a matter of personal preference and type of music you listen to.

Gervais has summed it up very well . heard both and they are both very accomplished . the harbeth has a lovely wood finish which of course the b&w does not . all down to taste and yes B&w can rock !!! be good to see how they get on with your rega. I heard the B&w with rotel 1572 integrated

Gervais has summed it up very well . heard both and they are both very accomplished . the harbeth has a lovely wood finish which of course the b&w does not . all down to taste and yes B&w can rock !!! be good to see how they get on with your rega. I heard the B&w with rotel 1572 integrated

If you had to choose one which would it be? If you don't mins me asking. Thanks

I'd certainly include other options as well for OP setup.

Harbeth's C7 are far too expensive imo, I assume replace P3 with a RP8/Planar 8 would be better bang with some cheaper speakers.
Perhaps even look at the Aethos option.

If buying used, older B&W CDM or 805 might be interesting too.

Auditioning is th

I have been researching various different speakers over the past couple of months and I am now ready to start auditioning and hopefully make a purchase.
Not sure if you are aware and so I thought I would mention, the Harbeth xd range will be available in a month or two.
Having heard the 7es 3 XD at Bristol in february I am of the opinion that this is a considerable upgrade on the old model.
I spent sometime over the two days listening to every type of music from prog rock, to opera, and it has the dynamics and midrange to open up well into the room.
The overall transparency of the speaker is what I liked. Personally I like the classic wooden frame which is beautifully finished.

The other recently upgraded speaker that impressed me was the PMC twenty 5i range, and the 24i in particular. It has a new tweeter and upgraded crossover.
It is improved in the highs and the bass has tightened up. Giving a live airy feel to guitar and acoustic instuments.
In fact I was introduced to Mr Steve Gadd and his album Gadditude, enjoying it so much, listening through the pmc 24i, I purchased it.
Fantastic album if you like smooth and bluesy jazz.

Definitely concentrating on speakers for the time being as I primarily use my dac-r which works really well with my amp and very happy with the performance..

Where I feel I can improve is on the speakers, at a later date I will then look at turntable and finally amp.

The C7s I am planning on buying ex demo which should be similar price to the b&w new. I am aware about the XD line but it seems a very large jump in price, where I might land is on some second hand / ex demo 40th anniversary models if possible.

Obviously this is dependent on how the demo goes.

Definitely concentrating on speakers for the time being ..

Perhaps add to your list of possibles:

Neat Ministra or Petite SX
Kudos Titan 505
Graham LS5/9
ProAc (various)
Rega RX1
SVS Ultra
Tannoy Legacy
ATC 11 or 19
Kef LS50
Fyne 701

Perhaps add to your list of possibles:

Neat Ministra or Petite SX
Kudos Titan 505
Graham LS5/9
ProAc (various)
Rega RX1
SVS Ultra
Tannoy Legacy
ATC 11 or 19
Kef LS50
Fyne 701

Some of these are well outside of budget. Kudos Titan 505 and Tannoy Legacy - 8k!! My budget is around 2k give or take.

Not sold on the look of the Neats. Like the ATCs but they need min 75 Watts. Kef ls50 I do like but don't think they will be as good as the b&w or harbeth.

Some of the others are interesting though.

Assuming your not a fan of the b&w or harbeth?

I would look at more options spending that kind of cash
Nothing to do with beeing a fan or not, just wish to open your eyes a bit more, but you seem determined, good luck.

Thanks. I am aware of the multitude of brands out there and have been reading up for a while. I actually currently own Neats, b&w and have owned monitor audio and infinity in the past.

I do appreciate the advise though and if I don't enjoy my auditions I will continue looking.

When I was speaker shopping a few years ago I heard several B&W models, for me the cardinal flaw with them is they sound really wonky/poor in the midrange. Never giving me that feeling of "they are here" type of transparency and midrange presence.

When I was speaker shopping a few years ago I heard several B&W models, for me the cardinal flaw with them is they sound really wonky/poor in the midrange. Never giving me that feeling of "they are here" type of transparency and midrange presence.
Thats what happens when they are too close to the wall. Most B&W's sound only good when a metre from the wall and reflex ports closed.

advertisement

Back