advertisement

B&W Technologies

euron

Hi all,

I have been considering a pair of B&W XT2 standmounts and was wondering, firstly if anybody had heard these speakers, and secondly if anyone has had much experience of B&W's technologies, such as the Kevlar drivers, the external Nautilus tweeter, and the 'simple' crossovers. They make what appear to be sound arguments for these features on their website but do they actually make a real difference…..

The CM1 also looks like the kind of speaker that I am looking for. I guess I am drawn to B&W partly because of their use in a lot of studios, which I'd assume is a good sign …..

Thanks.

1./ Your home is not a studio environment so you shouldn't take too much notice of what studios buy - it's horses for courses.

2./ Studios tend to use the top models in the 800 series, which won't be the same or sound the same as the models you're considering.

3./ Who cares what marketing gumpf there is on the website - it's what they sound like that counts, and even more importantly, what they sound like in your room.

So go and listen to some, and if you like what you hear then try a pair at home before committing.

Thanks guys.

Regarding point 3, I was more interested in people's knowledge/experience of, for example, cone materials (kevlar), and of the differences between passive crossovers - are they all much the same? And more so in anyone that had actually heard this particular model themselves. I currently own active speakers (Mackie's) and whilst the B&W's will probably end up as rear speakers there is a chance, due to pressure from the wife, that they will end up as mains at some point. The Mackies are very very good, and I might just be wasting my time thinking of using the passive XT2's as replacements.....

I mentioned these over on another forum and they were immediately dismissed simply due to the size of the drivers (despite a very similar speaker with identical sized drivers being thought of very highly on that forum - sorry hope i've not broken the rules saying that!). Does 5 inch two-way automatically mean bad sound!

Euron, forget all the little marketing conceits that they try to hang their quality of performance on. Go and listen to some, if they sound right, and if your missus likes the look of them, buy them. Anything else is a distraction.

In fact that bit about the Mrs could be rightly considered a distraction too. ;-)

Finding somewhere to listen to them may be the issue. Found them in some shops but most are website based, so i guess I'll keep searching. That's why I wanted to know if anyone had already heard them - I'm lazy :)

I guess I also have an interest in the technology side of speakers and was quite interested in hearing people's views. I guess there are many routes that give a similar outcome.

I think B&W's are all coloured, they have a very warm mid range IMO. as for the tweeters and cones, I can tell you from personal experience they are bomb proof. All their speakers i have heard ive liked but for the bigger ones you need a stadium to play them in and sound best when played loud

advertisement

Back