advertisement

B&W speakers. Underrated?

It does. My CM8s pair nicely with my Yamaha to give a clean(not bright) and neutral presentation. The treble is just right, picking out the cymbals and gleaming trumpet sounds beautifully but never overbearingly. They are well out into the room which gives depth and height.Closing your eyes you would swear they were taller. With well recorded albums they are outstanding. Though not as deep as some the bass is articulate and transparent so bass details and textures that were less obvious in the Spendors I had are more obvious with the B&Ws. As always, a well configured room, placement and well matched components are essential. I suspect that if I drive them with the older Olive Naim I used to own they would have an altogether different presentation that may verge on relentless. This happened with the Spendors on some tracks.With the B&Ws, it’s rare that I feel this and usually when the recording and production of the music are questionable.
I have ATCs myself, they just sound right to me but would never dismiss B&W in the way others do.

I have ATCs myself, they just sound right to me but would never dismiss B&W in the way others do.
I heard some ATCs up in Gateshead some years ago. I was really taken with the ‘live’ sound they presented and coveted them really. Sadly they were well outside of my financial capability.maybe one day.

I greatly enjoyed my B&W CM9s for nine years but I wanted a little extra so I upgraded before Christmas to the 702s2.I drive them with upgraded TagMcLaren 250 x2r mono blocks.I listen in a very well damped cosy 12’x12’room.
I continuously congratulate myself on my purchase.
The depth of that soundstage is just wonderful.
Contentment and bliss at last.

The "depth of that soundstage" is the result of the dip in the presence region (perhaps the little peak in the middle adds a tad of "crispness"):

518BW702fig4.jpg

This is H.D. Harwood (the father of Harbeth) describing the BBC dip:

d6dVEco.jpg

The "depth of that soundstage" is the result of the dip in the presence region (perhaps the little peak in the middle adds a tad of "crispness"):

518BW702fig4.jpg

d6dVEco.jpg
Interesting analysis tuga.

In the USA B&W speakers are often paired with McIntosh amplifiers.

Yes, this does seem to be the case often here, and could be why I found some of the B&W's that I listened to, boring. So I may just be getting things all wrong here, as I really can't say I much care for McIntosh amps in general. I would still like to visit the 705 S2 on my own amps and in my own room, to get a better feel for them, as there seems to be much to potentially like about these stand mounters. Although I certainly do not need another speaker to play with now!

518BW702fig4.jpg

d6dVEco.jpg

511B800fig4.jpg

Are you referring to the CM9's specifically, or B&W's generally?
This is the FR for the B&W 800 D2. I'm not seeing a significant dip in the presence region.
The full measurements by John Atkinson, who really knows how to interpret speaker measurements, are here...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bampw-800-diamond-loudspeaker-measurements

Going back to the original question, in my book overrated. I listened to several pairs in the B&W demo at the 2019 Bristol show and the 606 in particular sounded great. Listened to the same models in my dealer’s demo room and they were poor – thin and bright with little or no bass. The speakers I eventually bought (ProAc) sounded great in the demo room and at home.

I have a pair DM4 which occasionally is used with similar vintage Quad amplication.
Heard the DM2a several times too, they are even better.
Previously owned DM6 and DM7, both had their pro's and con's
Would love a pair of early 801/802 non-ported.
The few more recent B&W's i've heard didn't move me much.
I agree some of them looks odd

Going back to the original question, in my book overrated. I listened to several pairs in the B&W demo at the 2019 Bristol show and the 606 in particular sounded great. Listened to the same models in my dealer’s demo room and they were poor – thin and bright with little or no bass. The speakers I eventually bought (ProAc) sounded great in the demo room and at home.
Not my experience with the CM8s and they sounded great in the demo room and now sound even better in my own room. Your experience shows the importance of the room and placement.

I've had recent model 682s and CM9s. Both were decent, quite clinical but detailed.

Not sure I'd go back to B&W after getting my current ProAc D20 Rs though. Just a personal preference.

I’ve had many Worthing speakers over the years. DM4 and DM5 I’ve revisited in the past 10 years with the DM5 being the sweet spot. DM2 and DM2/2 were ok, DM7 an acquired taste but the DM7 mk2 was lovely.

DM12 was amazing for its size, the original 801 I never heard in a big enough room to do them justice but hey the guys at Abbey Rd can’t be wrong!

I heard the more recent DM 600 (I think it was an S3) which was a great little speaker.

B&W Worthing must have been one of the earlier user of lasers to map cone behaviour as well as their (unique at the time) live vs recorded demo which I was fortunate to catch around 1980.

511B800fig4.jpg

Are you referring to the CM9's specifically, or B&W's generally?
This is the FR for the B&W 800 D2. I'm not seeing a significant dip in the presence region.
The full measurements by John Atkinson, who really knows how to interpret speaker measurements, are here...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bampw-800-diamond-loudspeaker-measurements

There's a dip with a sharp peak in the middle (at 3.5kHz) which is the result of a cone breakup resonance:

511B800fig7.jpg

Fig.7 B&W 800 Diamond, 1/6-octave smoothed, averaged response of left and right speakers at 1m in KR's listening room (blue);
spatially averaged LF response of left speaker at listening position (4m) in KR's room (red).

The speaker's cumulative spectral-delay plot (fig.9) is very clean in the region covered by the tweeter, but less so in the upper midrange.
There is a slight ridge of delayed energy centered on 3.5kHz that coincides with the slight peak in the on-axis frequency response.
The effect of this is difficult to predict, but I suspect that it might increase the feeling of increased resolution of detail.

511B800fig9.jpg

Fig.9 B&W 800 Diamond, cumulative spectral-decay plot on tweeter axis at 50" (0.15ms risetime).

Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3

616BW802fig3.jpg

Fig.3 B&W 802 D3 Diamond, anechoic response averaged across 30° horizontal window on tweeter axis at 50",
corrected for microphone response, with complex sum of midrange, woofer, and port responses plotted below 300Hz.

616BW802fig7.jpg

Fig.7 B&W 802 D3 Diamond, cumulative spectral-decay plot on midrange axis at 50" (0.15ms risetime).

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3

The woofer's response is relatively even (though with a couple of small peaks and dips visible) up to 3.3kHz, where it crosses over to the tweeter (green trace).

317BW805fig03.jpg

Fig.3 Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3, acoustic crossover on tweeter axis at 50", corrected for microphone response,
with nearfield responses of woofer (blue) and port (red),
respectively plotted in the ratios of the square roots of their radiating areas below 300 and 500Hz.

317BW805fig07.jpg

Fig.7 Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3, spatially averaged, 1/6-octave response in JA's listening room.

Tuga,

You missed out JA's summary of the testing in your search for graphs to support your conclusions from listening to speakers 25 years ago.

"Overall, the B&W 800 Diamond's measured performance suggests that its balance has been optimized by listening; the various small departures from neutrality tend to balance one another".

I’ve had many Worthing speakers over the years. DM4 and DM5 I’ve revisited in the past 10 years with the DM5 being the sweet spot. DM2 and DM2/2 were ok, DM7 an acquired taste but the DM7 mk2 was lovely.

DM12 was amazing for its size, the original 801 I never heard in a big enough room to do them justice but hey the guys at Abbey Rd can’t be wrong!

I heard the more recent DM 600 (I think it was an S3) which was a great little speaker.

B&W Worthing must have been one of the earlier user of lasers to map cone behaviour as well as their (unique at the time) live vs recorded demo which I was fortunate to catch around 1980.

About 81-82 ish here... George Hooley on clarinet.

Tuga,

You missed out JA's summary of the testing in your search for graphs to support your conclusions from listening to speakers 25 years ago.

"Overall, the B&W 800 Diamond's measured performance suggests that its balance has been optimized by listening; the various small departures from neutrality tend to balance one another".

I always miss the summary since JA often dismisses all but the most blatant shortcomings as "character" or inconsequential or to someone's taste... You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

advertisement

Back