advertisement

[FS] B&W DM23 3-way speakers

Antifon

pfm Member
This is a pair of Bowers & Wilkins "bookshelf" speakers, dating from (I think) around 1982 - before B&W made the change from low-key appearance to more bling (if that's the right term).

According to the previous owner, they were bought by his father who, for reasons unknown, put them into a cupboard for storage shortly after they were bought new, and they never came out again until he passed away two years ago.

They are in excellent condition - all drivers are good, and the grilles are in good condition, with just one of the pair of badges missing. The cabinets have very minor rub marks here and there but only one of any significance - a small chip out of the veneer at the top rear corner on one speaker (see last photo). Apologies for the dust in the photos - a classic mistake of taking flash photos before looking at them closely!

When I bought them, the only work that seemed necessary was to remove the crossovers, and check and replace the capacitors as necessary. It wasn't strictly necessary, but I changed all of them for good quality components (from HiFi Collective, IIRC), though testing of the old ones showed that most were still within a few percent of marked capacitance.

I'm after £95 for them. Location is roughly midway between London and the south coast.

Last edited:
I should add that the reason why I put "bookshelf" in quotes is because, as you would expect from a 3-way design, they probably won't fit on many bookshelves! They are medium-sized speakers - typical of the time, in that they are slightly wider than they are deep.

Size of each is 49 x 25 x 23cm.

And I probably should have put a coin or something on the top to give a sense of the size of the chip in the veneer at the rear - it looks significant in a full-flash closeup photo, but it's tiny - actually only ~ 12mm wide and 3mm deep.

Last edited:
If anyone is tempted, easy shipping may be possible early this week... I'm heading round the M25, up the M40 and nearly as far as Manchester, so as long as the destination is not too far off-route I may be able to drop-off for minimal cost (literally just the cost of the diesel to get me from my route and back to my route).

So let me know if you're thinking about it - don't wait, as I won't be making that journey again any time soon...

Any interest? I guess these must be the cheapest pair of 3-way B&W's around but I will entertain offers. Delivery in person in the southeast might possible, depending on location.

Don't really want to ship as they are just a bit too big and heavy to package as a pair - so two separate boxes would be relatively expensive...

Any offers? I'll be traveling in the southeast a bit this week, so a dropoff may be possible at sensible cost...

Small clarification: The description above makes it look as though the crossovers were serviced and then the speakers just put back into storage. That's not the case - they have been in use near-enough daily since then, and still sound great - no issues at all.

advertisement

Back